Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Weights workout

I went to RPAC (OSU gym) and worked out today while the kids were at swim team practice.  I started with the stationary bike for 10 minutes (2 miles) and then went to the free weight area.  There, I decided to start very, very easy. 

Years ago, about 6 months after Jason was born, I started sharing a personal trainer with 4 other women.  I was 30 pounds overweight and looking for something to make a difference. Swimming hadn't helped.  Anyway, I learned quickly that I was strong.  Well, my upper body was strong.  I could out-lift the other women in any upper body exercise, especially bench press.  When we started bench press, some women had to use an alternate bar because the 40 lb bar was too heavy.  I used the 40 lb bar and put weights on it.  Throughout the 5 years I worked out with the group, I worked up to benching 105 pounds. 

I know all that is water under the bridge, but I shared it in this post because it really puts today into context.  I didn't go near the bench press with the real bar today, but I took some tiny free weights, 5 lbs each, and did a bench press with them.  Yes, 10 pounds.  After 10 reps, it felt weird.  My pec muscles tightened and were crampy.  My pecs have been sheltered from lifting or significant work since the doctor cut them to put in the expander (November).  Also, they are no longer flat against my chest wall, but curvy on top of my implants. The result is a totally different experience with the bench press.  I had a similar feeling when trying to swim breaststroke (what used to be my best stroke) in Nebraska. 

After the depressing benching attempt, I did several other exercises and came back to bench press several times throughout the workout.  Toward the end, I was using the 7.5 weights (so a 15 pound bench press), and was able to do reps of 10, but it felt very uncomfortable and like my pecs were cramping. 

Hmmmm, from 105 pounds to 15.  That's a scary thought, isn't it?  Even if I take into account that prior to the mastectomy I might have only been able to bench 80 pounds (which is likely), it still is a major drop from 80 to 15 pounds. 

The rest of the weights workout was okay.  I didn't push myself much and kept to very small weights, exercise balls, and medicine balls.  I also used the leg press machine, the row machine, and finished up with some stretching.  I'm able to do more yoga positions now that I'm allowed to use my arms and chest again.  The workout was about 90 minutes so I decided not to run or walk today.

Day 47 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: 2 eggs over-medium
Lunch: spinach salad with cucumbers and roasted chicken; spicy hummus for dressing (yes, again)
Snack: soy nuts
Dinner: tuna with a little Miracle whip, an avocado, and some cheese
Dessert: Ricota cheese/cocoa dessert (diet friendly)
Drinks: water all day

Oh, and the best news from today - I've lost the weight I gained over vacation.  Yea!  So I'm about 10 pounds down from where I was the Friday after surgery (May 28).

1 comment:

  1. Great news about the weight loss. You have been working tenaciously at the South Beach diet, so you deserve the success. The weight lifting was going to be a challenge, but you know your body and are experienced at lifting, so I am sure you will figure it out. In the meantime, use those legs and you will still be able to take out the occassional annoying dude : - ).

    ReplyDelete