Friday, July 9, 2010

River walk and Run-walk-run

I did a better run-walk-run attempt this morning.  I ran 3 minutes and counted the blocks (5) and then walked a minute and counted the blocks (1).  I continued at that ratio for 4 miles, which I finished in 45 minutes.  The 5K was 35:20 and the miles were 10:45, 11:22, 11:49, and 11:18.  I'm not very consistent with my pace yet.  I ran much easier in the shade.  The sun was brutal. 

On May 15, my Race for the Cure 5K time was 34:04 and I ran the whole thing, so I still have some work to do to get back to that level of fitness.  Also, I wasn't spent after that race and I went back and ran more with Val and Michelle and then walked/ran the last half of the race again with Jason.  I feel like I'm doing really well right now, but compared to May, I guess not.  Then again, I've only been allowed to run for 4 days, I guess I should be a bit more patient.  Walking consistently for 6 weeks makes me feel like I've been running much longer than just 4 days, so it's a skewed perception issue, I'm sure.  And a patience issue.  I have no patience and I get bored doing the same thing all the time.  I'm sure that's why I'm not a very consistent and accomplished runner even though I've been dabbling in running for 5 years.

Day 42 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: hard boiled egg and a small glass of milk
Lunch: spinach salad with cucumbers, mushroom, zucchini, a whole avocado, and chicken (no dressing)
Snack: soy nuts
Dinner: spinach and romaine taco salad with a little ground beef, and lots of guacamole and black beans; also I ate a little dip with cheese, refried beans, and salsa (no chips, just dip)
Drinks: water, iced tea

This afternoon, we went to Crams Cove and walked in the river.  We got quite a workout trying to walk upstream in waist-high+ fast water. The smaller kids wouldn't have made it without Grandpa keeping them with us.  He had to help Val and I get re-started a couple of times too.  I got stuck in the sand and couldn't get moving again, so he gave me the handle end of a plastic paddle and I did football churning legs and ran my way out and got some momentum again.  It was rough going for about 15 minutes or so but then it was very shallow once we got out on the sandbar areas.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly.....you have only been running for 4 days...and on vacation....you are doing great! Maybe a little less tough on yourself. Any movies of the handle, stuck in the sand, football leg churning thing : - ).....?

    ReplyDelete