Monday, July 19, 2010

Ran 5K and ate carbs

Tonight I ran a 5K in 34:18. Darn, I was just a little slower than my Race for the Cure on May 11 (that was 34:04).  If I had known I was that close, I would have sprinted the last .1 and beat my time.  Tonight, my miles were 11:31, 11:25, and 10:19.  That's great - I'm finally back to negative splits as I think is best for me. 

I followed up the 5K with a 2 mile walk at 16:48 and 18:15 (the last mile included stopping to stretch my calves a couple of times). I would have skipped most of the walk, but I was listening to Steverunner's 5th anniversary Phedippidations podcast and wanted to finish it. My Blackberry player doesn't allow me to exit a podcast and go directly back to where I left off.  If I shut it down, I'd have to find my place again manually.  The Blackberry folks could learn something from the folks who make my Sanza clip.  Those people know MP3 players.

I felt pretty good for the run tonight.  I started out much slower than I've been doing lately and I decided after 4 minutes that I didn't really feel like doing the run-walk-run thing tonight.  I've been wanting to be able to run the 5K distance post-surgery, just to prove to myself that I can.  Also now I officially qualify for the Galloway training method since he asserts that if you can run 3 miles, you can use his marathon training method. 

However, I'm not training for a marathon. Well, I don't think I am.  I'm training for a January half marathon in 2012.  My friend Becky wants to do the all-female half marathon at Disney in 2012 and in a moment of pure insanity, I said I'd do it with her.  She's in much better shape than I, of course, and does triathlons and such, but hey, I've done a half before, right?  Of course that was before cancer and two surgeries and lymphedema, and loss of muscle mass and confidence.  But I did successfully train for and run the half distance.  I even did it in sub 2:30 which I didn't dream was possible.  So, Disney being a place for dreams and all . . . .

Today didn't start as well as it ended.  I was soooooo tired this morning.  I had to drag myself out of bed, had no energy, and was most definitely in a Monday sort of mood.  I knew this was not good for anyone who came in contact with me, or for my desire to continue employment.  So I decided to eat some carbs today.  I didn't have much time this morning, so I ate the left over soy cracker things at work since they had both carbs and protein.  I also ate a piece of rye toast at lunch - and drank some caffeinated iced tea.  I think it really helped.  I ended up getting more energy and salvaged the day.  Who knows?  That may be a factor in me running the 5K without walking today. See, Mindy, I am learning a little about this "food is fuel" thing - thanks for the mentoring!

Day 52 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: Hard boiled egg
Snack: soy sweet snacks
Lunch: omelet with sausage, black beans, avocados, and cheese and - get this - a big piece of rye toast
Snack: more soy sweet snacks
Dinner: I ate half a plate of veggies at a swim team pasta party for the kids' summer championship meet on Thursday.  It's more of a tradition than an actual carb-loading event, but the kids like the idea of loading up on the energy.  I would have eaten more if there had been ANYTHING else there I could eat.  Oh, and I pulled a few pepperoni's out of one pasta salad and had my tiny meat course.

By the time I got home from the swim team event, it was 8:30pm and I needed to get changed and out for my run immediately.  As it was, I didn't beat the dark or the mosquitoes and didn't get back until 10pm or so.  Now it doesn't seem prudent to eat a real dinner at 11pm.  Maybe a little skim milk to coat my stomach, a quick leg stretch, and get right to bed.  I need more sleep and hope to get to work early tomorrow to prep for a day of meetings.

1 comment:

  1. Nice run and great rebound from a tough morning...I would comment more, but I am on "comment probation".....: - ).

    ReplyDelete