Thursday, July 8, 2010

Val's a stud

The big sports news in our family today is that Val smoked the high school boys in long course swim practice.  In the set of 5 200's, Val beat everyone on the team every time.  She also recovered very quickly and everyone else was breathing heavily and working hard.  The coach was razzing the teenage boys that a girl beat them, so they were pushing themselves to keep up.  That just made Val swim harder too.  It was good for everyone, I'm sure.  The coach thanked Val for pushing the team.  She'll probably go to practice tomorrow too.

I didn't have much time to exercise today, so I decided to get a 5K in faster than yesterday.  I fast-walked most of the first mile and then ran 4 blocks and walked 1 for the rest of the run.  I did the 5K in 38:52 and my miles were 14:38, 11:45, and 11:29. 

Day 41 of South Beach Diet - well, not such a diet today
Breakfast: an avocado
Lunch: Subway spinach salad with cucumbers, banana peppers, and tuna
Snack: Amigos crisp meat burrito and hot salsa - yes, deep fried food (this is the junk food from college that I always have to eat when I come to Nebraska - but I only had one this trip and no greasy chips and cheese that I usually get to go with it)
Dinner: Valentinos buffet food - I ate a large salad that was diet-friendly, some pizza without the crust that was diet questionable, and some junk food that is definitely NOT on the diet, including small tastes of different types of dessert
Drinks: water, iced tea

My had had been swelling more here in Nebraska, but yesterday I wore the full arm wrap thing when I ran and the finger sleeves beyond that.  Because the swelling was down quite a bit, last night I only wore a finger sleeve on one finger (instead of the glove as I usually do). This morning all was looking good.  I wrapped the whole thing again this morning for the run and kept it on 20 minutes after running.  It took awhile to cool down. The sun was pretty brutal again this morning.  It wasn't a crazy hot temperature like in Ohio now (only upper 70s), but the sun is brighter here for some reason.  I think it's the lack of clouds and humidity - nothing to block the rays.

I've gained about 3 pounds on vacation which is a bummer.  I haven't really been eating that poorly. For only 3 or 4 meals, I had something not on the diet, and then not much terrible stuff until today.  Also, I've been very consistent with exercise.

We spent much of the day in Kearney and met my cousin's new baby - she's a cutie.  This evening, we saw a theatre company perform You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in an outdoor theatre venue. What a great day/evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment