Friday, July 2, 2010

Galloway run-walk-run?

How great it is to have no schedule and just be able to go out and exercise without feeling like I should be somewhere else.  And it was also wonderful to have no time constraints!

Today I logged a 10K in 1:32:33.  I walked most all of it, but found it was actually easier on me to jog the more significant down-hill sections (less jarring on my legs and I assume less bouncing too).  My miles were 15:13, 14:56, 14:59, 14:33, 14:27, and 15:19.  The 14 minute times included occassional jogging.  My legs were tired and my IT bands were tight when I finished, but I didn't have any limiting soreness or tightness while walking/running. Since I had quite of bit of the Lymphedema swelling in my hand yesterday, I wore the full finger/forearm wrap thing while I was out today.  Now I've just got a finger sleeve on the index finger that manifests 80% of the swelling problem.

I've listened to The Extra Mile Podcast while running the last couple of times.  Actually, I'm listening to the Extra Mile Podcast Experiment which is an in-depth look at the Jeff Galloway run-walk-run method.  Today I listened as a 73 year old man explained how he uses this method and is able to keep running injury free for decades.  Most of the talk is geared toward marathons, but they mention halfs and 10Ks (and ultras!) occassionally, too.  I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the Galloway books.  Or contacting a running coach who can do all the calculations and such so all I have to do is run/walk as I'm told and log the miles/times somewhere like buckeyeoutdoors or even just here in my blog. 

Day 35 of South Beach Diet - fabulous food today!
Breakfast: hard boiled egg
Lunch: wonderful omelet made by Mom - 2 eggs, fresh mushroom, fresh spinach, and a little bacon and cheese
Snack: healthy smoothie with skim milk, ice, whey protein, and sugerless dark chocolate
Dinner: Nebraska Rib Eye steak, Oh my.  Incredible.  Also, grilled veggies (mushrooms, onions, zuccini, and red and yellow bell peppers.  Also incredible. A few almonds for dessert.
Drinks: water all day, 1 diet coke and southern comfort drink at the reunion party at Huckleberry's, 1 diet 7-up

No comments:

Post a Comment