Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tomorrow

Ran again today.  Did two miles at 10:24 and 10:38.  It was another incredible day, 50s and sunny, and I listened to more of a Steverunner podcast.

I also did some errands with my parents, helped plan food for the next week or so, and welcomed friends who came to visit. Jeff and Jen came by with a huge gift basket with all kinds of wonderful things and sat and talked quite a while.  As they were leaving, our neighbors dropped by with fruit and chocolate.  And a short while after that, Ken's old roommate Bob came by with a lot of food and good wishes.  I also had calls or emails from my brother, sister-in-law, Jim, Lee Ann, Bonnie, Michelle, and probably several others I'm forgetting as I'm starting to get nervous about getting packed and ready to go.  I didn't read the whole breast cancer surgery booklet they gave me (which, by the way, they should have given me 6 weeks ago since it has MUCH more information than the garbage they gave me then!).  So I'm not completely prepared for this process. Then again, maybe that's best.  What else do I need?  Just me.  If I get there on time, I've done my part. 

Bob and another one of Ken's college roommates, Dave, plan to come to the hospital to wait out the surgery with Ken, his parents, and my mother.  My father will hold down the fort at home and get the kids off to school and then to either piano or swimming afterward, whichever they decide to do depending on the homework situation. 

I had a long talk with Valerie tonight.  She is very emotional and very worried.  She made me explain everything about the surgeries, like why I would have 2 doctors, and she knows about lymph nodes and such.  She was adamant that I make Ken tell her what is really going on once he knows.  She needs to know too.  She doesn't want things hidden from her even if we think she won't want to know.  As long as we are honest with her about this all, I think she will trust us more and handle this better.  She won't always be waiting for something unknown and scary to happen. She'll be prepared.  I understand that.  I'm exactly the same way. 

So, tomorrow's the big day.  Bilateral mastectomy with the first stage of reconstruction.  Ken or Lee Ann will update the blog when we know something.  There may be more than one post if they know things at different times.  In the meantime, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment