Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Doing okay

All is going well so far today. Lots of pain, but able to be up and around. Actually, it is better for me to be out of bed. It hurts less and is not as frustrating.  I'm still having lots of pain getting in and out of bed.   Ken thinks I'm crazy because I haven't used the walkie-talkie yet.  This morning, I had to get up to the bathroom and found a way to get out of the bed by myself.  Certainly not easy.


Ken helped me do some stretching last night and that helped a lot.  My muscles are all tightened up these days - even worse than normal, if you can imagine that.  I'm far from flexible in normal circumstances.

I'm not sleeping as well these days because it's uncomfortable (understatement) to be in bed.  I'm like a baby because I'm up every few hours needing something - bathroom, water, meds, pillow redistribution, etc.  I was up at about 6am this morning and got out of bed to eat, take meds, and talked wtih the kids before school.  Then the meds kicked in and I went back to bed and slept until about 10:30.

Ken just washed my hair.  We took great care to keep everything neck and down dry. I wore an OSU poncho with a towel around my neck and I was very glad it all worked out fine. Since I can't take a shower, we used the hand-held shower head in the kids' bathroom and I leaned over the tub while he did a quick hair washing. Beth was right, I feel much better with it being washed.  I don't have my usual gel in it or anything, but it looks okay and is clean at the very least.  I hope that wasn't too much of a strain on me. It didn't hurt anymore than just moving about the house.


Now it's time to have some pulled pork Bob brought over.  Mom's making a salad to go with it.  So I've got to sign off today.  Besides, it is very tough to type.  My fingers keep hitting the wrong letters and I'm doing lots of backspacing and deleting. 

Oh well, I'm still just taking this one moment at a time because it's tough enough to just manage the pain. I have to sleep on my back which is doing a number on my neck. Ouch!  It also hurts a lot in the places where they cut the muscle in my chest.

Overall, it's coming along okay, though. 
- Kelly

1 comment:

  1. take it easy Kelly. You're a rock star compared to me. No way I would have considered bending to get my hair washed at this stage. Or get out of bed without help.

    ReplyDelete