Sunday, November 8, 2009

Good weekend

I had a wonderful weekend, though emotional at times.  I intended to write a vendor document this weekend for work, but I didn't get it done.  Oh well, I decided to quit pushing myself that hard because I need some strength to get through all my preop appointments next week and I need to relax a little sometimes.

The great parts of the weekend included family time.  The kids had a swim meet on Saturday and both did great. It was fun to watch them. Ken and I got some time to ourselves and enjoyed time with friends.  We had a great meal at Bucca di Beppo and our suite at the Lofts was incredible.

On the exercise front, I ran a little on Saturday morning, but didn't have much time.  I put in just 20 minutes and then had to head out the door for the swim meet.  I'm still sore and I'm not sure why.  Now it's my calves and IT bands that are incredibly sore, both to the touch and when I walk or run.  I decided not to run today to try to recover longer.  My only exercise today was the 2 hours to mow the lawn.  It took longer than usual because I went very slowly and did some parts twice in an attempt to mow the lawn and mulch the leaves in one step.

Our daughter is doing really well with her braces so far and is able to eat things that are small, soft, and cut up.  She's eating much slower, but is at least eating real food, not just milk shakes.  This evening she went over to a friend's house to play and reports having a fun time.  They went to a playground and tried to rig up their own tetherball with a soccer ball, twine, and tape.  Too bad we weren't there to see it, I'm sure it was fun.  The friend is a classmate who lost her mother to cancer last year.  Val said they didn't talk about it while they were together today, but I've talked with Val about it a couple of times and she seems to think it was the chemo that killed her mom.  If I have to get chemo, we'll have to figure out a way to help her understand it wasn't the chemo but because the chemo didn't work.  I met her friend tonight when I picked Val up and she seemed to be a quiet and very nice girl.  Her caregiver said her Dad encourages friends to come over since the girl needs to spend less time alone outside of school.  Maybe now she's starting to branch out more.  Or maybe she feels a connection with Val since they both have this cancer situation in common.  I know Val feels more of a connection to the girl because of it.

I read Beth's blog on the pre-op appointment tonight and it teared me up.  I commented on her note because I'm just so amazed at how well she is doing with this and her commitment and strength to see it through. 

I also listened to some podcasts from the American Cancer Association while I mowed the lawn today.  It was good and tough at the same time.  Tomorrow, I'm going to see the cancer psych doctor to try to get a handle on what is the toughest part of this for me and to help me figure out what I need to do to get past it.  I'm fine most of the time. I suppose that's because I'm focused on other things most of the time.  When my focus is on the surgery or treatement, though, I get weepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment