Thursday, November 5, 2009

Overreacted,but fun weekend ahead

I've been out of running shape for a few days. It’s nothing long-term or serious, just a cramped hamstring that is limiting motion and a huge blister on my Achilles area that broke and is now very sore. It's depressing because I have a very limited number of days before I have to stop running for probably 6 or 8 weeks. Also, the weather has been great and it would have been good to get out there.

Work has been crazy busy and I've been trying to make the best of my time to try to get things done before surgery. I'm not sure how long I'll be out of work, I guess it depends on how I feel. I'm fortunate to have enough sick time to be flexible on that. I'm marking from Nov 23 through Jan 1 as "out" on my calendar, but I may work from home or even go in the office once I'm feeling better. I've got some challenging and impactful things on my plate and I'd like to keep moving them forward if I can. I'll try to listen to my body and do what's best for my health, though too - mentally as well as physically. Running has taught me to listen better to the physical side, at least.

Yesterday I overreacted to something going on at work. Luckily, the action I took was to send my boss an email. Therefore, she was the one who learned of my paranoia and she called it to my attention. I don't think I did any damage outside of that and Nancy and I have a good relationship so we'll certainly get past it. I apologized for over-reacting, of course.

Since my diagnosis, I've been reading about similar things happening to people in stressful health situations but I had not been aware of doing anything like that until yesterday. I know I am pressed for time and had some roadblocks on a task I was trying to get completed before surgery. Three issues related to that task converged at the same time and I overreacted to one of them as a result.

The overreaction may not be related to the health stress -  it may have been more about being pressed for time - but either way, I hope I'm not doing that in general right now. If I am, certainly take my boss' lead and let me know. If I know about it, I can do something about it. For this task, I chose to stop dealing with it today and I'll make some time tomorrow to take a fresh crack at making progress.

Despite the little hump mentioned above, work is going pretty well right now, as are things on the home front. Ken and I are having a getaway night this weekend. His parents are going to stay with the kids Saturday night while we get a fancy hotel room downtown. We're meeting some friends for dinner and we may be going to a show afterward. Whatever we do, it will be nice to have some time. Thank you, Jan and Jim!

Tomorrow I see the Medical Oncologist for a consult. I know she won't be able to give me a specific post-op treatment recommendation until she sees the test results after surgery. However, I'd like to learn all I can about the possible options and find out how long we'll have to wait after surgery for the results.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are moving on after a bump at work. You care a lot about OSU, the quality of work that you do, and the people you work with. That passion can cause bumps, but far better to care and bump than to never bump at all. Besides "It happens" or so Forrest Bump said : - ). Have a great time this weekend, you and Ken deserve the time and I hope you will create some moments to last a lifetime....a long and wonderful lifetime together.

    ReplyDelete