Thursday, November 19, 2009

Still zoomin'!

I'm feeling pretty good today.  I've been progressively getting better at accepting the reality of this all and being less emotional.  I talked with several people about the upcoming surgery today and I thought I sounded like I had it figured out.  I convinced even myself, and I'm a hard sell.

One of the people I talked with today was my dentist.  We've known each other for many years, even prior to having kids, and we played on opposing softball teams for a couple of seasons.  If you look at the comments in my blog post prior to this one, you'll see she is challenging me to do a Komen athletic event - an all-female triathlon in June.  Those of you who know me well know that I don't cycle.  At all.  I'm terrible on the bike.  However, Ken thinks it's a great idea because it would give me a goal, get me to cross-train (perhaps I can cycle when I can't run), and it's a short enough distance to be doable.  Maybe he's right.  I'll think about it and see how I'm doing.  Although the cycling sounds impossible now, the swimming will probably be most affected by my surgeries.  It's crazy to think about myself as being weak in upper body strength, that's usually where I've got an advantage.  So many changes.

I got more work done in the office (and a little from home) today - still zoomin' along. I'm following advice of many people and leadership and culture workshops.  I'm being here nowLiving in the moment. I'm not thinking about the pain of Monday and beyond.  I'm going to deal with what I'm facing now.  I've done all the advance planning and preparation that I can do and now it's time to just sit back and go with it.  I have faith and trust that it will all work out. 

I am also relying on many people to help me through this and I thank you all for your part in that.  Even if you're just taking the time to read the blog, you're helping me. I smile when I see the flag counter each day. 

At work, Eunice has sent out a request at work for people to sign up to make us food for the week after Thanksgiving.  Many colleagues have given me books and movies to help distract me while I'm home.  Even more have tracked me down to offer support, remind me that I'm doing the right thing, and encourage me that I'm strong and can do this.  My AVP (boss) has also been incredibly supportive and has helped me deal with this tough situation by giving me support and flexibility as well as by not allowing me to lose sight of what I have to offer at work.

At home, Ken has been incredibly supportive by giving me lots of time to work, connect with friends, write in the blog, etc. and he has taken on pretty much all of the work at home.  He also has been a source of incredible emotional support.  My kids have been great, too.  Valerie got me water in a crystal glass today.  She's always doing things to pamper me and to help.  Jason is very good about showing his love for me every day, too.   My parents are arriving on Saturday.  Ken's parents and his sister's family cancelled Thanksgiving travel plans to stay nearby to help and support me and my family.  Ken's parents are going to be here for the surgery part too and since Jan is a recently retired surgical nurse, she can help us all understand what is going on and will ask all the right questions.

Long-time and newer friends are making special efforts to connect with me, too.  Jim is sending supportive emails and making funny comments in my blog to make me smile. I'm having dinner with David and Becky tomorrow night. Lee Ann is has offered to update the blog if Ken can't get to it. I'm even getting emails from long-time family friends who are offering assistance and support despite the fact that I haven't been good at staying in touch. 

Thank you, everyone!  Surgery is soon - Monday.  Keep up those prayers and healing vibes!

4 comments:

  1. How could we not support such a great friend, fabulous woman, and all-around force-of-nature such as yourself? How dare cancer try to take on a woman like you? It didn't know what it was in for! You are the one that gives everyone else a compassionate kick in the butt when we feel like we don't have the energy to move past whatever hurdle we are facing. I have no doubt that you will be able to survive and thrive in the face of these changes that you are facing. And so now it is our turn to support you and send you encouragement whether in the form of e-mails or casseroles or whatever we have. I wish I could be there on Monday but I'm sending you all my love and positive energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there with you. Just so you could see one face who knows that every ounce of pain you feel is real. People will be supportive, but will never KNOW, ya know?? You'll do great. You're healthy and young and with a great support system, time will fly. I seriously cannot believe it's been over a week for me. Can't wait to hear from you after the procedure. I'll be thinking about you on MOnday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes try a tri....why not?, you have a dentist as a sponsor.....someone who can give you some "drills", will "chew you out" if you miss training, and my favorite...maybe slip you some novicane for the pain : - ). In the meantime, all of your friends, family, and other blogites will be accumulating a giant wave of good/strong/healing vibes for Monday. Thank you Kelly for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly - I just heard your news and wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this. But, I think you are very brave and wanted to wish you the best of luck on Monday. The QOI folks are getting together to get you some foodstuff or other helpful things for around the house. You're in all our thoughts and prayers. Love - Dottie, Ben and Claudia

    ReplyDelete