Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good luck, Beth!

We had the pre-op appointment with the surgical oncologist.  I had an EKG, blood drawn, and a chest xray.  They told me not to take aspirin or ibuprofen and a whole host of other things including vitamins and herbs.  They gave me some antibacterial soap to wash with both the night before and the morning of surgery.  They also said something about fasting and no gum or mints or nail polish.  We have all that information in a document of some sort, thank goodness. None of it really stuck with me. Ken will most likely be in charge of the evening before surgery and the morning of, too.  I won't want to handle all those details.  
I also signed a paper that said I was getting a left mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy and a right prophylactic mastectomy, both with immediate reconstruction with expanders.

I had some good news today.  I talked with a friend of mine who manages the Plastic Surgeon practice.  She saw me at our consult appointment and we talked about kids but not about why I was there.  It took me until today to call her.  I know I should have called her earlier, I just kept putting it off until it was bothering me to no end.  So I called her and told her what was going on.  I also told her I was concerned that my doctor was fairly new to the practice and I asked if I should reschedule with a different doctor.  She said that everyone in the practice is outstanding but out of the five doctors in the practice, she would choose my doctor or another one to do her own reconstructive surgery.  She said he does good work and his work also looks good. I was very relieved. 

It also made me feel good that she told the doctors and her staff that I was a good friend of hers and was to get extra special treatment.  I know they treat all their patients well, but it was good to know that my friend is there looking out for me too.  It will be nice to have her there while I go in for my numerous appointments over the next year or so.  I have my pre-op appointment with my plastics doctor on Thursday.

In addition to all of that, I got a lot done at work today.  I stayed a little late since I had a doctor's appointment this morning and I was able to make major progress on one of the two primary projects I need to complete before the end of the day on November 20.

If you're reading this on Tuesday night, November 10 or Wednesday, November 11, please send some of prayers or thoughts or vibes to Beth at http://itsnotcancerbut.blogspot.com/ who is having her prophylactic bilateral mastectomy tomorrow.  We're pulling for you, Beth.  Show me how it's done!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kelly! I'm hoping to be a good role model. Off to take my dramamine. I'll blog when I can.

    ReplyDelete