Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Crazy day

What happened? Today was supposed to be a surgery recovery day; a day when I eased into working and had some alone time.  Yea, right.

I'm doing really well one week post-breast reconstruction surgery, so I committed to working 20 hours from home this week, my second week off. 

After working awhile this morning, I forced myself to squeeze in 30 minutes of yoga.  This time I tried the DVD that said "beginner," not the crazy "weight loss yoga" DVD that I tried a few days ago.  This was much more doable, but I still had to improvise when I was supposed to be doing poses that required my arms to hold my weight (doctor's orders). I did pretty well though and it was good to stretch out my sore leg muscles. 

After yoga, I worked a little more and then rushed out to a hair appointment.  Then more rushing back home to eat my lunch as I got back to work.  I ended up getting on a roll with some important things and worked until 4pm. 

The kids were home at 3pm and 3:45, so I got them some nutrition required for swimming and then packed them up and drove to our first summer team practices of the year.  Ken had learned my day was hectic via email and offered to meet me at the pool so I could get my walk in today.  What a wonderful guy!  It was definitely needed!

So I walked through a really nice neighborhood near the kids' summer pool and did 3.88 miles.  My total miles were 16:17, 16:06, and 16:06.  My 5K time was 50:03.

Then I went home, got a shower, helped Ken make dinner, got all the kids' summer day camp applications and checks ready for the mail, and said goodnight to the kids. 

As we were saying goodnight, Val and I had a good conversation about friends.  One of her teachers said the friends they have now (6th grade) are "convenience friends" and will probably not be their friends in high school.  At first, she was concerned about that, but I told her that some of the special ones will remain special forever.  Lee Ann and I have been best friends since the 2nd grade.  It happens.

So that's it.  My day in a nutshell.  And nutty.  It's like I'm back into my usual whirlwind schedule already.  I hope tomorrow isn't quite as bad, but it looks like I have similar things in store for Wednesday and Thursday already.  Wednesday, I have my appointment with the physical therapist about the swelling in my hands (Lymphedema).  Thursday morning, I have my follow up appointment with the plastic surgeon.  Friday may be a more relaxed day.  I'm going to ensure it is. 

Day 4 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast:  Egg substitute omelet with asparagus and low fat cheese
Lunch: Turkey lunch meat, small piece of cheese, and an avocado
Snack: Handful of almonds and small piece of cheese
Dinner: Lowfat chicken sausage with cheese and a lettuce and cucumber salad with hummus for dressing
Drinks: Water throughout the day

I'm sticking with it and it's been okay.  I haven't had any trouble staying on course, even though I'm home where I could eat lots of bad things.  So far, so good.

2 comments:

  1. Wow....amazing day for just off surgery. Was tired just reading. You and Ken also have an extrordinary connection...... Go get 'em Kelly..... on your way again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go with the diet and I am super impressed at how much walking you fit in!

    ReplyDelete