Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

As is customary on Father's Day, I spent the morning making breakfast for Ken to have in bed.  He has a sweet tooth but is on the South Beach diet with me so I made cauliflower pancakes and sweetened them up a bit. I got several recipes online and kind of merged them and added natural peanut butter to the mix.  Here's the process:
  • Steam the cauliflower in the microwave and then ensure all water it out and mash it with a fork
  • Use a hand mixer to blend mashed cauliflower, whey protein powder, natural peanut butter, an egg and a few packets of Splenda (Ken as a sweet tooth).
  • Then make them like regular pancakes on the stove griddle. 
  • I mashed some strawberries and mixed them with a packet of Splenda for the topping
I was surprised they came out so well - very fluffy.  They weren't chunky like some of the pictures I saw online.  That's probably because I went the sweet route instead of adding things like cheese and onions and such.  Also, I'm sure the hand mixer was pretty effective.

Anyway, Ken loved them and had his customary breakfast in bed with the kids on either side of him chatting away.  Then we all went out to get his Father's Day presents (we wanted him to help select them).  First, I took him to Bed Bath and Beyond and had him try an outdoor lounger I'd been eyeing.  Score one present on the first try!  Then I dropped them off at Game Works and the kids got him a game for the Xbox 360 while I went into Marshalls.  We topped off Father's Day by going to see Toy Story 3 on the extreme screen.  Val was a Toy Story fanatic when she was little and Ken used to carry her around singing "You Got A Friend In Me."  Actually, Val has her phone set to ring as that song when Ken calls her.

So all in all, a great family day on Father's Day. 

Day 23 of South Beach Diet:
Brunch: hard boiled egg and a few bites of cauliflower, natural peanut butter, whey powder pancakes
Snack: V8, cocoa roasted almonds, piece of Baby Bell mini low fat cheese
Dinner: left over omelet from yesterday and a salad with black beans and a little chicken on it, no dressing
Drinks: water all day

I didn't have much time to walk today, but I put in 2 miles in 30:18 tonight as it was getting dark.  The miles were 15:11 and 15:07.  I felt some shin splint warning pangs off and on, but nothing too bad.  I worked my shins by pulling my toes up toward my knees a few time when I got home because I'm told that scares off shin splints.

I've got another physical therapy appointment tomorrow morning.  My finger is a bit more swollen tonight, unfortunately.  I'll probably get in trouble for not wearing the gloves/wrap more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment