Monday, June 14, 2010

Tenacious runner

Whew! I'm tired today.  I didn't get enough sleep last night, had back-to-back meetings all day, and then took Val to a softball hitting clinic at Capital University.

While Val was at the clinic, I walked a 10K in 1:31.28.  The 5K was 45:54.  The miles were 15:14, 14:49, 14:27, 14:38, 14:06, and 15:03.  I ran about .1 of the 14:06 mile because it was starting to rain.  Then I decided to wo-man up and finish walking the 10K despite the rain.  I did get back near my car so I could walk around the surrounding blocks just in case it got dangerous or unbearable in the rain.

I packed my exercise clothes and my new running shoes early this morning and forgot my cap/visor.  So I learned something about visors, today.  They keep the rain off your face.  Why is that important, you ask?  Well, because after you've sweated like crazy for an hour, gritty salt is on your face and forehead.  When it rains, the salt gets in your eyes.  Ouch!  Twice I doused my eyes and surrounding area with my water bottle water to get the salt out.  A couple of times, I was walking with my eyes closed from the sting.  Fun, fun, fun.

So even though I'm not allowed to run right now, I was a tenacious runner today.

Day 16 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: hard boiled egg and V8
Lunch: turkey lunch meat and a small cucumber
Snack: low fat cheese stick (mild cheddar)
Dinner: soy nuts after exercising and then about an hour later a mixed green salad with chicken and spicy hummus
Drink: water all day

I saw the physical therapist briefly today and the measurements she took looked good.  I don't have to wear the wrap contraption except at night now.  I can wear the glove or the little finger sleeves, depending on how I'm doing.  She asked me where I got the finger sleeves (Drug Mart) and seemed interested that they were making the most dramatic change for my fingers, however, they probably cause the back of my hand to swell more because the compression doesn't continue past my wrist.  But it's okay to wear them for short periods of time or when the gloves are in the wash.  I got an extra glove today so I can alternate them or have a backup in case I make a mess on one of them (or walk a 10 K in the rain and get it all salty).

The kids have their first swim meet of the summer season tomorrow.  We have lots of packing to do since it seems we need to take enough stuff to outfit a small army.  I'd better get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment