Saturday, June 12, 2010

Walking to build endurance?

A new blog look - just because Google updated the features.  All content is still the same.

I had to go back to edit the previous post because I noticed that I consistently wrote "run" instead of "walk" when referring to my exercise today.  It really felt like a run.  I certainly treated it like one.  Interesting.  I wonder if I'll be able to wait until the doctor approved July 6 to get back into running.  I'll try.  It would be easier to wait if I thought this walking was going to help my running.

I wonder if this walking fast exercise will help build my endurance base for running later. Can an endurance base get a kick-start by walking fast or do I really need to be running to build that base?

John Ellis was assisting both Steverunner and Geek Girl Runner in training plans and in the initial endurance-building portion of their training plans, he asked them to run a certain time (not distance) and to keep their heart rate under a specific threshold.  To do that, they both had to add some walking in their runs because their heart rates would get too high.  I'm not wearing a heart rate monitor, but I know I'm working hard out there.  I would venture a guess that my heart rate is similar to the heart rate he was asking Geek Girl to keep.  Maybe a little lower.  But since I'm 10 years older than her, it might be about right.

I know I'm just guessing about all this and have no idea what I'm talking about. But it's an interesting thing to consider.  Maybe I'll try to post the question somewhere in the run net community to see if anyone has anything to say about it.  If you have an insight, comment here and let me know.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment