Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lymphedema

I'm trying to type this post with a left hand that is wrapped with 3 layers.  First, a thin fabric piece that looks like a fingerless glove.  Then each finger is wrapped separately in a thin cloth bandage that also wraps around my hand and wrist and a little higher on my arm.  And it's all topped off with an ace bandage (but less stretchy than an ace bandage) that is wrapped around my hand, between my thumb and pointer finger, and up my arm almost to my elbow.

All this because I do indeed have Lymphedema.  The very nice physical therapist said it makes no sense that I have it "based on what I had done" and the absence of other risk factors, but I do have Lymphedmea. 

If you're new to the blog, I'll recap.  I had ILC breast cancer in the left breast, stage 1, with pervasive LCIS (pre-cancer marker) around the area.  So "what I had done" was a bilateral mastectomy with 3 sentiniel lymph nodes taken out of the left side plus 3 lymph nodes that were removed with the breast.  I guess that was a few too many nodes removed for me. Subsequently, I had reconstructive surgery and got my semi-permanent gel implants last week.)

Back to the Lymphedema treatment:
  1. The first course of action is to keep my hand and lower arm wrapped until my two affected fingers go back down to the same size as the right hand.  If they do.  It's possible they won't.  Let's be positive and assume they do.  
  2. Once my fingers are back to normal size, then we consider putting on a glove and/or glove with sleeve that I wear all the time for a while to maintain the correct size.  If this works, which it might not, but hey, again, let's be hopeful, then on to treatment 3.
  3. In the next treatment, I only need to wear a glove (and perhaps a sleeve too) when I exercise.  If this keeps my drainage working properly, I will not have to go back and do it all again. 
  4. If I'm really, really lucky, I could ease off wearing the glove/sleeve when I exercise and watch the hand to ensure it doesn't start the whole process all over again.  If it doesn't I may be one of the few who gets to move past Lymphedma and does not have to manage it for a lifetime. 
I couldn't get the PT to give me actual percentages, but I got her to admit that a lower percent of the time the Lymphedema goes away and doesn't come back.  For most people, once they get Lymphedema, it is something they manage and deal with throughout their lives.

Today was no less hectic than yesterday.  I worked until 1:45, then ate lunch in 15 minutes, then drove to my appointment at the cancer treatment center.  And I really didn't want to go there.  It's a sad place.  I don't have cancer anymore.  Why can't I go somewhere else.  Ahh, because this is where they know about follow up non-cancer problems like Lymphedema. 

Then I came home and worked more and tried to help Valerie with a craft project for school (we failed and decided to wait for Ken).  Now Ken has taken both kids away and I'm home with instructions to go for a walk or relax or do something good for me.  It's 90 degrees out at 6:44pm.  And I have a wrapped arm.  I don't think I'll walk just yet.

On a lighter note, the PT asked me if I was convalescing (to spend time recovering from an illness or the effects of medical treatment, especially by resting), so  I told her about my day yesterday.  For the rest of the appointment, we joked about my convalescence period.  Seriously, she did say coming in now was advantageous so we could jump on the compression treatment during this time when I am not allowed to run anyway.  Okay, yes, that is good. 

So it hasn't all sunk in yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm discouraged by the new state of affairs.  Do I really need another excuse to stop walking or running?  I've got plenty in my pocket already.  Now a huge very obvious reason is attached to my arm.  Was my life getting too easy?  Was I recovering too well?  Why did this have to happen along with all the other difficult things I have going on?

And there are no answers.  No answers as to why.  No answers as to whether it will ever go away.  No answers to how long I have to wear bandages or gloves or compression sleeves.

Day 5 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: black beans, green pepper, and mushroom fried with egg substitute and a little olive oil
Lunch: two pieces of ham, a small piece of cheese, a small cucumber, and a piece of string cheese
Snack: a little can of V8 (5.5oz)
Dinner: chicken breast on romaine with hummus for dressing
Dessert made by my wonderful husband: a recipe from the South Beach Diet book, something with riccota cheese, splenda, unsweetened cocoa, vanilla extract, and toasted almonds.  It was wonderful.
Drinks: water all day

- 1 hour later -
OK, so I did go out to walk.  I did 3 miles: 16:53, 16:14, and 14:35.  A HUGE black mass of clouds roared in during the last half mile and I thought I could beat it but at .25 to go, gusts of winds picked up, all got black, rumbling everywhere.  So yea, I ran.  A little.  Okay, about 10:30 pace.  And I ran a little less than .25.  Oh well.  I needed it.  It was kinda fun to just barely beat the brunt of the storm.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kelly,

    My name is Marie-Carole Gallien and I also have lymphedema as a direct cause of my Breast Cancer.
    I have a website and Facebook group that you may find of interest.

    Thank you for you Blog.

    www.mariecarolegallien.piczo.com

    Facebook:
    young women, breast cancer, mastectomies and lymphedema.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its your blog buddy. Damn, you need a break Kelly. No you do not need or deserve something else to deal with.... you need time for you with a healthy dose of Ken and no physical challenges. Hang in there..... and congrats for outrunning/walking the thunder storm..... your running pace seems to be quite a bit faster than your walking pace (he said trying to avoid another e-hit)

    ReplyDelete