Monday, June 7, 2010

First day back to work

I started back to work today.  And I almost didn't get a walk in.  Coincidence?  I think not.

So it was a busy day and I have a lot of catch up work to do, but it was fine.  I didn't get too tired.  I have noticed that I have much less patience at home, especially for things like after school activities.  Today the kids were playing in the yard with friends after school and I was trying to get things done on the computer and I started to round them up for swim practice and I let them talk me out of it.  Ah heck, let them play, Val rarely has friends over and Jason's good friend is moving away this summer.  So I went back to the computer and wrestled for another hour before a rushed dinner followed by softball. 

Val had a softball game tonight and pitched clean up.  She had 3 up and 3 out with one strike out.  Her team won.  She had a rough time at bat, but I was impressed with her ability to block out the rest of the game and focus on the last inning to pitch so well. 

With all this, I wasn't sure I'd get a walk in today.  As it was, I didn't get out before twilight, but I went out anyway.  I didn't do much though.  Just 2 miles at 14:37 and 14:21 and then a few more minutes of walking because I wanted to be out at least 30 minutes.  It wasn't long ago that 2 miles would have been 40 minutes.  So I guess it's been a pretty successful 2 week rehab.  Yes, I know, I still have a long way to go with strength and endurance and flexibility - and that's just to get back to where I was in September 2009 when this all started.  Even then, I wasn't at the peak of any of those fitness measures, so I'd like to rehab to better than I was immediately pre-cancer awareness and treatment.

I had a great talk with a colleague today who is also a runner.  The two newest leaders we've hired are both women and both runners.  That's pretty great. 

Day 9 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: hard boiled egg
Lunch: ate out with a colleague - Greek salad with chicken on it; no bread/pita; no dressing
Snack: V8 and a few tiny turkey sausages
Dinner: eating standing up getting ready for Val's game - a few more tiny turkey sausages, several handfuls of soy nuts, string cheese, and some roast beef from the crock pot
Drink: Iced Tea with lunch (no lemon or sweetener) and water the rest of the day

I wore my wrap today for the Lymphedema and it bothered me a bit at work and at the game.  I tried re-wrapping it twice at Val's game but I couldn't get it tight enough to not be annoying without also turning my fingers purple.  So I took it off by the end of the game and put on the glove to go for the quick walk.  I suppose I'll try to wrap it tonight, though I'm sick of the wrap again already.  Not a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment