Monday, June 21, 2010

Adventure

I had an adventurous day today.  After my PT appointment I thought I'd make great use of time and get my exercise walk in before going to work.  So I drove to a beautiful, shady neighborhood, Upper Arlington, and parked my car somewhere in the curvy streets.  I thought I was being strategic because I found a street with a sidewalk that ran forever (usual in that neighborhood).  I was in a huge hurry to get 2 miles in just in time for me to get to work for our stand up 10 minute meeting. 

I stayed on the sidewalk all the way down to a busy street I know (5th) and then had to turn and walk down 5th until I put in my 20 minutes one-way.  Then I turned around and walked back on that same sidewalk.  Only something wasn't the same.  After about a mile of coming back, when I should have been close to my car, the sidewalk ended.  Uh oh.  It wasn't supposed to do that.  So I went east another block and walked awhile.  Still nothing was familiar.  I reached for my phone with GPS.  No phone.  I left it in the car.  Great. 

After walking 3.5 miles, I found a wonderful elderly homeowner who was gardening and she took pity on me and drove me to find my car.  Luckily, I remembered some landmarks so she took me to the school with the tennis court and then we were good to go.  I played up the country bumpkin thing because it worked and kept us both in good spirits.  She thought I ought to stick to Pickerington.

So quite an adventure walk today.  And much longer than I expected.  I did 3.5 miles in 57:18 (a bit longer than my 40 minutes budgeted).  My miles were 15:22, 14:45, and 15:23.  I have no idea what the 5K was because by then I was much more focused on how I was going to find the yellow brick road.

After work, I went to Kohls for another adventure, this one not nearly as good natured, I'm afraid.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I tried on 40 bras.  Really.  Maybe more.  I took in 3 different band sizes and 3 different cup sizes and probably 10 different bra styles.  I tried on as many combinations of each that I could find.  Nothing worked.

So I went home and looked up how to measure for a bra.  I found several sites with a few different methods.  What I learned by reading and measuring and calculating and following instructions was that I'm a boy and don't need a bra.  I'm concave.  A negative number.  That was not very helpful. 

I decided that if I cheated on the numbers a little, I might fit into a pre-pubescent bra, so I went back to Kohls and finally found the one bra in the store that sort of worked.  I think the problem is really the shape.  Bras are kind of pointy and I'm just pancakey.  Square peg issue, I guess.

Day 24 of South Beach Diet:
Breakfast: 2 mini quiches from a South Beach Diet recipe and a V8
Lunch: spinach salad with lots of chicken and a dressing of sour cream and salsa
Snack. cheese stick and a few tiny turkey sausages
Dinner: pizza again - the low-carb version explained in an earlier post
Drinks: water all day

1 comment:

  1. Okay, initially I did not get it, but once you turned around on the busy street and lost track of where you had originally turned....I get it. As far as your other adventure.....I decided to be empathetic, so I went and looked at 40 bras too, or at least that is what is says on the arrest record.....

    ReplyDelete