Friday, October 30, 2009

Steverunner and swim team

I didn't get up in time to run this morning, but it was an unusual day because I had time to run after work.  Yea!  I left the office at 4:30 and had about 90 minutes before a swim team event.  I walked over to OSU's state of the art recreation/activity center to change clothes and then headed outside with my mp3 player, Garmin watch, and a bottle of water.  It was HOT.  The wind was blowing pretty hard and was a welcome companion since I was more concerned about being cooled down than slowed down.

I put in 3 miles.  The first was slow and labored at 11:49.  My calves are sore . . . yes, both of them now.  I loosened up a little as I went along, though, running the other miles in 11:27 and 10:27.  Unfortunately, I was still sore when I was done.  I walked a little and stretched as I made my way back to the activity center to shower before heading across the sidewalk to the aquatic pavilion.

Tonight the kids were fitted for OSU age group swim team suits and we watched the OSU varsity swim team (men and women) swim against Kenyon.  It's amazing to watch really good swimmers.  I swam competitively in the summer from about age 10 to 16 and even qualified for Junior Olympics (our state meet) once.  However, the kids nowadays are in a TOTALLY different league.  My 11 year old already swims every stroke better than I ever did, as do all of her swimmer friends.  My 8 year old is very impressive, too, especially in back and free.  Even his butterfly is better than mine. 

My favorite and fastest stroke was breast stroke (yes, another ironic thing).

I had lunch with two former colleagues who are good friends.  It was great to see them again and check in.  We talked a lot about my breast cancer diagnosis; the great news that it was caught early and the sad news that I have to lose both breasts anyway.  We also caught up on work and personal things.  Thanks for a great lunch, Whitney and Andy!

My Medical Oncologist consultation appointment is now scheduled, so things continue to move along.  I wanted to see her before the operation just to get an idea of what I might have in store afterward. I know she can't tell me anything certain until they have the results of my post-surgery tests, however.  Still, I'd like to know under what conditions I may need to take tamoxofin or get radiation and/or chemo.  I'm also planning to ask about post-op treatment differences if I choose the lumpectomy over the bilateral mastectomy even though I'm almost 100% sure I'm going with the latter.

I think Steverunner mentioned me in his podcast posted today because I saw my blog address posted in his show notes on his web site. I haven't listened to the episode because I want to put it on my mp3 player and take it on a run. You can listen to it directly by clicking here or you can go to his web site and download the episode titled Fdip211: Gifts, Gadgets and Gizmos for Runners. Although I haven't listened to it yet, I would guess his mention of my blog will be toward the end of the show when he talks about emails he receives from fellow runners. Today, I listened to his episode #206.  To learn about other favorite podcasts, check out my submission called Ran 5! Listening to Podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment