Saturday, October 17, 2009

Great run!, some down times, and basement renovations

Went out this morning and traversed 4.5 miles. I actually ran most of it, but walked some of the last 1.5. The Garmin says the miles were 11:32, 11:19, 11:18, 13:22 (walked some of this one), and then 8:37 for the last half.

Had a "lower" mood evening last night. I'm generally doing pretty well, but there are times when I can lose motivation and get blue. Last night I exchanged emails with some friends about being betrayed by our bodies and the effect of body image on everything. Even just a few pounds can have an impact. The results of my surgery will be a bit more dramatic than a few extra pounds and I'm concerned about being able to pull out of it.

I have choices with this, I guess. I can be the victim of this thing that's out of my control and I can let the results of my surgery obliterate my motivation and self-confidence or I can find a way to focus on other positive things and minimize the impact. I know that sounds easy enough. And I have control over the choice. But it really is tougher than it sounds. At least for me. Some days I think I can do it. No problem. Other days, it seems overwhelming and why bother since I have no control over the outcomes of this surgery and cancer.

Today I'm on the up swing side of it all. I ran about 4 miles and walked about another half. I listened to the other runners on The Extra Mile Podcast and I felt motivated and rejuvinated in my personal power and hope for the future.

Also today my parents are coming to visit for about 10 days. That will be great! They are a wonderful source of support for me and mom will go to the second opinion clinic with me because Ken will be at a conference.

Also, we'll work on our perpetual project to finish the basement and it will be wonderful to continue creating a new oasis down there. We've got a ranch with a walk-out basement. The upstairs is 3 bedroom, 2 bath. The basement has 2 additional bedrooms, a full bath, storage rooms, a very large workshop, a kitchenette, and a family room. The kitchenette has an oven, microwave, dishwasher and full fridge. The Ikea cabinets are fabulous, as is the little granite countertop. This trip, we'll probably work on the window seat which consists of floor to ceiling Ikea cabinets flanking a large window (5'x 6') and matching cabinets underneath the window with the cushion area on top. Will be great!

Maybe I'll figure out how to post some pics of our progress.

A big thank you goes out to my friends (and Ken) who took the brunt of the "down" mood last night and were supportive and understanding as always. I know I'll continue to have some of that going on, but I hope it wanes as my positive motivation drives it out. Have a great weekend, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Okay a few silly comments to get out of the way... who is this "Garmin" dude you are running with and why are you so obsessed with his input?....the rest of us runners have value too : - ). Second, if you want to shed a few pounds, I would think that you should volunteer to do all the "hammering" during renovations...get it, all the "pounding"! (wow, explained bad humor...yuck) Oh and I hear ya about this body betrayl thing, mine betrayed me in a few areas too....but I don't blame it too much, I think it is just getting back at me for the colonoscopy.... Okay, enough silly....go renovate and enjoy collaborating with Ken and your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No comment on 4.5 miles? I thought you'd be oh so impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too busy being weird! Yes, impressed with the 4.5, but also in how much you have been out running. I think that is great!....especially because you are running for YOU and not necessarily training for a race or event. Or is it because of pods and being a Steverunner groupie : - )?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kelly, looks like we run close to the same pace! Maybe I can convince you to the a tri with me next summer :-) Brian runs waaay faster then me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been observing your blog ever since I found out about the journey you are on and I must say all this running talk exhausts me. I think the last time I ran it was to answer the phone. Anyway, your positive attitude is amazing and with all the support, thoughts and prayers headed your way I know you will get through this. Talk to you soon...Stacey Baxter Lauby

    ReplyDelete