Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Support

I got up late today but decided to do a quick run in the morning anyway.  It was gorgous!  The temperature was about 40 degrees F with little wind.  It was dark when I went out but dawn by the time I was done.  Unfortunately, I didn't have much time so I was only able to put in 2 miles.  I didn't take my Garmin or watch with me, so I have no idea of the pace.  It felt like the first mile was slow but the second mile I was clipping along a bit more, not pushing it, but probably at a comfortable 10:45 or 11 minute pace.

Today a friend and colleague at work offered to coordinate dinner meals for us after my surgery.  Thanks, Eunice!  She proposed that colleagues will sign up to bring dinner on a given day so we won't have days wtih two dinners or days dinner-free.  She's going to see to it that we have a whole work week of meals without worry.  Since Ken and I work in the same office, he can receive the dishes at work and bring them home.  It's brilliant! 

I'll have lots of support the week of surgery (Thanksgiving week) since my parents will be here and Ken's parents are coming for some of that week, too.  Therefore, Eunice and I decided to have her dinner support begin the week after Thanksgiving (November 30).  The doctors say I'll be hunching over to protect my chest for about two weeks and I won't want to use my arms much, so dinners the second week will be a great help.

I'm so fortunate to be working in an environment where my boss and colleagues are caring, supportive, and value flexible working arrangements.  I also have very good benefits (including sick leave) and access to excellent health facilities and doctors.  Since I'm an HR technology professional, I'm sure you think this is a commercial for the benefits of working at OSU . . . okay, so maybe it is.  But seriously, nothing makes a person realize their blessings like getting thrown into a situation like a health crisis.

1 comment:

  1. Your family and co-workers are the best! Whew, so glad....my initial inquiries for food delivery services I found on the Internet were sounding a little suspect..."Panera to Your Homa" sounded like it would cost a lot of bread; was worried that the weird looking Burger King home delivery guy would scare the neighbors; and SteveRunner offerer Podcast food, but I hear that stuff makes you "run to" the "poddy"......

    ReplyDelete