Sunday, October 4, 2009

Getting back into running

I'm an inconsistent runner; well, inconsistent in training but consistently slow.

I run occasional local 5Ks for charity (fastest was just under 30 minutes) and my biggest running achievement was a half marathon in October 2008 which I finished under 2:30. My running schedule has been lax since the half marathon and I have struggled with motivation.
 I want to be running 3 to 4 days a week. I feel much better after being out on a run. I have more energy, am happier, and much more productive if I just take 30 minutes to run. So why is it so tough to get out there? Currently, I'm running only one or two days a week but I'm hoping this blog will motivate me to be more active.

I started running in 2004 and have run the Race for the Cure every year since. I ran it in memory of my friend, Cathy Cooper who lost her battle with breast cancer. Ironically, this week I found that I am facing that disease myself. It's still too early to know what is going on with me and I feel just fine, but I got the news on Wednesday that I need to see a surgeon to address some misbehaving cells. I decided to start this blog to help motivate my running as well as everything else I strive to accomplish with work, friendships, and family.

Today I ran 3.1 (5K) and walked another half mile or so. The Garmin watch says I ran three one mile splits at 11:22, 11:40, and 10:44. I wanted to stop at about half way through, so I slowed down a little and then got more energy toward the end. It felt good to be out there.

While I ran, I listened to Steverunner's 200th podcast where he discussed . . . what else. . . the meaning of life. He talked about life being a gift. (How apropos given my current situation.) He believes the purpose of life is to make the world a better place than it was before you were given the gift. However you do that is personal. What is your calling? His is to do the goofy podcast on running and to try to get us all off the "couch of doom."  I, for one, am grateful he has heard that calling. If you haven't checked out Steverunner's podcast and web site, do it. He's great!

1 comment:

  1. I guess you don't need to see a blog comment to know how much we love you.

    We have a tendency to want to fix all things broken, and it pains us not to have the tools for this fix. We do, however, have one item in our toolbox that will help a great deal. We have all the confidence in the world that you have the needed tools yourself--strength, wisdom, determination, and goodness.

    ReplyDelete