Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thank you!!!

A big thank you goes out to everyone who has connected me with a breast cancer survivor.  This has been exactly what I needed to help me with the treatment decision as well as with coming to terms with what I'm facing.

Today I talked with another friend-of-a-friend who gave me some insight about her experience with the bilateral mastecomy and reconstruction.  I also am in an email conversation with a distant relative who had the surgeries.  Both of these women are inspiring and I am very grateful to them for sharing such personal experiences and for being so candid.

I've heard from many friends and relatives who are keeping me in their prayers and my aunt has added me to a prayer chain now and will do so again during the surgery time.  I also have some relatives who are much more knowledgable about health-related things, especially my brother and a couple of cousins' wives.  They have been very helpful in offering their support along with valuable information and advice.

Many of you have asked how I am doing and I can honestly report that I'm emotionally more stable in the past few days.  It has helped me very much to share the news with friends, colleagues, and family.  Taking action by writing this blog, doing research online, and talking with other survivors has also been intrumental in my coping and moving forward. 

As for next steps, I will continue to talk with survivors to gain perspective, information, and inspiration.  I'll also contact another hospital to inquire about a second opinion and my nurse practitioner about advantages of getting an MRI.  I'm already waiting for the nurse practitioner to get back with me regarding moving my reconstruction consultation to an earlier date.  And now, I think I'll get some sleep.  I have been sleeping pretty well lately, by the way.  Tuesday and Wednesday were less-than-optimal sleep nights, but other than that, I've been sleeping pretty well.  Good night, my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment