Thursday, October 22, 2009

Conversations and welcoming home Ken

I started the day with a phone call with my mother-in-law who is VERY knowledgable about surgery issues, as she was a nurse for over 30 years and a surgical nurse for most of that time. She called one of her trusted surgeon friends and got some insight about my lumpectomy vs. mastectomy dilemma. He had similar ideas to what the second opinion clinic offered yesterday. I really appreciate that Jan called her colleague and did some research for me on this. Thanks, Jan!

Today I also talked with my friend and colleague, Tom. He recently had achilles surgery and has been out of the loop on my cancer situation. Tom is a major runner, actually an IronMan since he's completed at least one full Ironman triatholon. He's on the road to recovery from a nagging running injury. At least I assume it was caused by his running craziness.

Tom and Jim are friends of mine who have coached me through my major running victories: several 5Ks and a half marathon. Both of them are very supportive and never treat my whimpy running like it is way beneath them, though I know it is. I thank them both for humoring me and for being inspiring and sources of valuable advice and support.

Anyway, it was good to talk with Tom and he was once again very supportive in my newest challenge. I'm blessed with many friends and family who are supportive and want to help, too. As Tom said today, he has no idea what he would do in my shoes, but he assured me he would join my other supporters in whatever I decided to do. Thanks, Tom!

I also got some resources from another colleague, Karen. I intend to do some more research tomorrow, so it is good to have ideas for where to look next and how to proceed. I know I'll eventually just have to decide - actually, that will need to happen soon.

If you know anyone with LCIS/ILC who chose a lumpectomy, let me know. However, I doubt there are too many of us out there. I think only about 8% of breast cancers are lobular and the lumpectomy is a more common choice for the ductal cancers.

No formal exercise today, just a regular work day and then I picked my husband up from the airport. It's VERY good to have him home, though I'm glad he was able to have success, recognition, and fun at the conference. He's tired tonight though, so I'll probably forego the conversations about cancer until tomorrow. We all certainly deserve a break from this!

1 comment:

  1. You are truely surrounded by a super group of friends and family. Tom sounds like a great guy and someone you can really connect with as a friend and experienced/talented runner. Glad Ken is home....hope you both have some time to talk and catch up at your own pace. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete