Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ran again - and more support

I broke my . . . rule?  guideline?  trend? . . . and ran two days in a row.  And I chose to do this depite having tight calves which I know is a big yellow WARNING sign for me that I need to take it easy or get chronic running pain.  Oh well, it was a good morning to run and I had time.  So I ran because I could.  And because I wanted to. 

Like yesterday, I just headed out with no Garmin or watch, put music on my Sanza, and ran an easy 2 miles.  I think I was a little faster today, but I have no idea if that's true.  It felt like I ran the second mile at about a 10 minute mile pace.  I don't want to know if I was slower, though.  I would rather delude myself and feel pretty good about getting out there.

Today I took my parents to the airport and that's always sad.  I love having them around and miss them when they leave.  They will be coming back soon though since they will be here for my surgery.  I think they come the Saturday before my November 23 surgery date.

Speaking of surgery dates, Beth at "it's not cancer but" is having her surgery sooner than mine.  She has 2 weeks and 2 days before her big day.  I just wrote a comment to her blog post called countdown.

I also talked with another survivor today.  Actually, I met her and her 16 year old daughter for lunch.  It was nice to have a face-to-face conversation.  Everyone else I've talked with has been over the phone or internet.  She encouraged me to talk with the medical oncologist while I'm in the holding pattern waiting for surgery.  I thought that was a good idea, so I sent an email to my surgeon's nurse practitioner to try to get that appointment.  Tracy was headed to talk to her daughter's biology class about breast cancer, so she was all decked out in her pink breast cancer gear including tshirt, watch, cap, etc.

Before I sign off for the night, I want to mention a couple of other ways I'm getting support through this tough time:
  • My grandmother in Nebraska bought me a new "lounging around" outfit that I can wear while recovering.  The top zips up and will be great for when I have to deal with dressings and drains.  Thanks, Grandma!
  • Ken's cousin sent me a book.  My mom and I are using it to learn about all kinds of things that are to come.  Thanks, Wendy!
  • Many special friends and family members regularly read the blog, stop in to see me, write encouraging emails, add blog comments, send cards, schedule lunch dates, or call to just check in.  Thanks to all of you who have helped me realize I'm not in this alone.
  • My parents and Ken's parents have been very supportive and helpful in counseling, researching, and offering help and encouragement.  Most recently, Ken's parents offered to watch the kids while we have a small get-a-way before surgery.  That will be very nice.
  • And, of course, Ken has been amazing through this all.  Those of you who know him are not surprised in the least. He has been doing more than his share of cooking, cleaning, homework, etc. and he is so positive and encouraging through this all.  His unrelenting mission is to ensure I internalize the fact that I will be the same person after surgery as before and that no cancer surgeries or treatments will make me less attractive or less of a woman.  He is really incredible.  Thank you, Ken. 
Thank you, everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. As one of many, many contributor, you are welcome. I consider myself fortunate to read and learn and listen and be inspired by what you write and the family and friends around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you keeping up with the running. That has been extremely hard for me, to know that very shortly, I will not be able to run for 2 months and will lose everything. I do not look forward to starting over. But, I have had many talks with myself and am keeping it up. Maybe not to the intensity that I had before, but I need to be in the best shape possible when I enter surgery. I plan on lots of walking (thank goodness for my treadmill) during recovery. Just finished a 3 miler, and a 4 mile yesterday. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete