Thursday, October 15, 2009

Plastics Doc

I had the plastic surgery consult today and it went very well.  I really like the doctor.  He was fantastic.  I even saw an old friend there who is now the clinic manager for the plastic surgery group. 

Now that is out of the way, I hope we can get the surgery "on the books."  I don't want to wait for the second opinion and MRI because I'm getting axious to get the cancer out of me before it grows more - and because I want some recovery time before Christmas.  The plastic surgeon was certainly willing to get the date scheduled and I hope I can convince my surgical oncologist;s group to do it too.

I'm almost certain I'm getting the bilateral mastectomy with the reconstruction done with expanders and implants.  I was suprised to learn there wasn't quite enough fat in my stomach to do the tissue donor instead of implant - it seems like there is plenty there to me!  Guess I shouldn't have turned down all that cheesecake!  Seriously though, I was nervous about getting the second incision and the resulting recovery on my stomach.  I was also concerned about the impact to future sport activities.  The doctor agreed the tummy involvement would make the rehab much tougher for sports and working out.

The kids' parent teacher conferences went great too.  Both kids have A's and are well-liked by their teachers.  The oldest was praised for being a hard-worker and responsible and the youngest is going into an "enrichment" program because he's testing at a grade higher in many things.  I hope they continue to excel depite some challenges and difficulties that will be going on at home with my surgeries and treatment.

So that's the news for the day.  I hope I'll have more tomorrow, maybe even a scheduled surgery date.  But I'm sure that's being just too optimistic.  It's a good thing I still have some of that optimism left though, I'm going to need it as I move through this ordeal, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly. Gather up that optimism and fuel it with all the love around you, besides, you and Ken are doing such a good job with your kids....your tour of duty has been extended indefinately : - ). I wish you success with appointment scheduling tomorrow and have a great visit with your parents. Oh, enjoy some belly laughs with your mom....a little hint... she seems to be partial to "sword" humor.....must be something you can "poke" fun at : - ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly - Glad to hear that you were so pleased with the plastic surgeon you met with. Sounds like some things are kind of "falling into place" for you. Have spoken with your folks and was glad to hear that you went ahead with the MRI. It sounds like you pretty well have your mind made up as to where you're headed in your treatment path. But, it will still be nice to have an MRI image of especially the other breast to look at those extra details. Plus, I'm sure it will make Bryan much happier too! :) Your mom confirmed who Michelle Z. referred you to and it was who I was thinking of also. Hope you can get some comfort out of speaking with P and knowing how happy she's been since having her surgeries. I told your dad that between my email and phone...YOU seem to be the topic of concern. It's really wonderful, Kelly, to know that 25 yrs. later, we can still come together when we hear someone is going through a tough path in life. By now, most of us aren't as perfect as we used to think we were. :) In closing, I must say it still just baffles me that you do 'all this running'. I still envision you in a swimming pool doing lap after lap along side of me. I believe my mother called us "Water Rats" a time or two. But, I'm greatful you have your running for an outlet. I told 'Grandpa Don' not to spoil the grandkids too much. (yeah, right!)
    Love,
    Paula, Russ and Hunter

    ReplyDelete