Friday, October 23, 2009

Surgical Oncologist re: Risk

I talked with my surgical oncologist again today. He called with the results of my MRI, which I already knew were clear. He wasn't surprised they were clear because ILC and LCIS rarely shows up in an MRI, which is why he didn't order an MRI before I requested one. I could have taken offense and assumed he was saying "I told you so, na na, na-na na," but I chose not to do that and to just agree he was right and ask more questions.

I told him I was doing research and asked him about the risk of developing cancer in the future if I get a lumpectomy. He talked about the "relative risk" which is different than the percent of likelihood. He said I have a relative risk of 10 to 15 times that of the general population. So I think that means I am at least 10 times more likely to have cancer again than Jane Doe has of getting it.

We also talked briefly about tamoxifin and he agreed the side effects are quite disruptive.

So I'm learning more and more. I don't like what I'm learning, of course. It's still very scary. But I need to know.

1 comment:

  1. I know you know this as an analyst and a researcher anyway....but maybe a reminder. One way to look at research is that too much information may confuse the issue or create too many choices or present lots of contradictions. However, another way to look at research is discovery....along the path of research are points that will make a difference to you....and either on their own or in combination with something else, those discoveries will give you what you need. Oh, and another cool thing sometimes is to take a break from research and have fun with your parents and Ken over the weekend : - )...go for it kid.

    ReplyDelete