Sunday, August 29, 2010

A 5 miler

Geek Girl Runner did another podcast episode!  It's been a few months since her last one and I've missed her.  Having the new podcast to listen to got me motivated to get out to run today.  I also listened to a couple of Steverunner's intervals episodes. 

I put in 5.13 miles in 60 minutes.  My miles were 11:48, 11:08, 11:09, 11:03, and 12:29.  The first 4 miles were done with the run-walk-run method at a 3 minutes running to 1 minute walking ratio.  I'm surprised I got low 11's doing that, but I did.  My 5K was 35:00.  The fifth mile included more walking, especially at the end for my cool down.

While I was out putting in my 5 miles, I realized that Jim (runswim2) was doing a half-iron tri today.  He was going to try the run-walk-run method for the run part, so I told him to call me and let me know how that worked.  He called, but he wasn't able to report on the method.  His feet hurt too much after the bike and he ended up walking more of the run than he had planned. Despite this, he placed 3rd in his age group.  I can't even imagine finishing such a crazy race.

For my run, I wrapped my fingers, hand, and forearm in the contraption the PT gave me when I was first diagnosed with Lymphedema.  I didn't wear the custom glove because I think it is too tight and stops drainage at my wrist.  After the run, my fingers were pretty swollen, but my hand wasn't too bad.  So I took a shower and then put on my custom glove because it is great for shrinking my fingers.  I wore it at church and to lunch and the sports store afterward.  When I got home, I took it off and was pleased to see my fingers had shrunk considerably, almost back to normal.  My hand was swollen though, so I kept the glove off and in a couple of hours, my hand has decreased almost to normal size too.  After the run, I rated my lymphedema at 5 out of 10.  Now I suppose I'm at a 2 out of 10.

I got new shoes and have worn them on my last 2 runs.  They are Adidas adizero tempo shoes.  I'm very impressed with them!  They have pronation assistance but are not stiff, heavy shoes like most support shoes.  Instead, they are very light, have lots of venting, and the heal and ball part of the shoe seem to operate more independently than in most shoes.  I really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment