Wednesday, August 4, 2010

More on lymphedema

It has taken me forever to follow up on a post I got from a fellow breast cancer survivor who also has lymphedema.  Today I joined the facebook page for "Young Women, Breast Cancer, Mastectomies, and Lymphedema" that she suggested.  I also learned about LympheDivas which makes fashionable sleeves and gloves for women with Lymphedema. 

I just ordered my first custom Lymphedema glove yesterday, but I'm not going with fashionable colors.  I've never been a fashionista, so why start now?  My physical therapist/lymphedema expert gave me lots of color choices, but I just couldn't do some crazy color yet.  Maybe I'll get more later, depending on how I'm feeling, I suppose.

It's hard to believe that I'll be dealing with this forever.  It's likely, though.  People don't "just get over it" very often.  It's something most sufferers need to manage ongoing.  I'm guessing it will get worse as I get older and if/when I gain weight.  Ironic that losing weight hasn't helped, though.  Perhaps I wasn't heavy enough to have that be a factor anyway.  Although I'd like to lose another 10 pounds, I'm not considered overweight by my doctors or by my personal health assessment provided for the work health plan.   

So, here's a weird question - how do we get a word recognized by Microsoft for all it's spell checks?  Can we petition like trying to get a word in a dictionary?  I know, I know, I could just put Lymphedema in my own version of spell check on the 3 PCs that I use most.  But it's just the principle of the thing, you know.  Microsoft thinks it's two words: lymph edema.  It's just annoying. 

That's enough ranting for today.  On to happier things. Our kids are enjoying a week with their grandparents in northern Ohio, so Ken and I are free to do whatever we want after work today and tomorrow.  Friday night, we have softball.  Saturday is Ken's birthday and we're going to Wicked.  Sunday we're going to the Irish Festival.  Busy, but fun times! 

1 comment:

  1. Microsoft will recognize a word if you put it on 7 Windows. Enjoy the week, you both deserve all the fun and happiness possible.

    ReplyDelete