Friday, August 6, 2010

9 miles cycling

A big thing around Columbus and OSU these days is the upcoming Pelotonia cycling event.  Last year, Lance Armstrong rode part of the event (for promotional purposes, not as a race).  In 2 weeks, riders will take the the streets again to raise money for the James Cancer Hospital (where I was treated for my breast cancer).  Riders can choose from 4 different routes/distances as below:
  • Columbus to Groveport (~ 23 miles) - must raise $1000 for Cancer Research
  • Columbus to Amanda (~ 43 miles) - must raise $1000 for Cancer Research
  • Columbus to Athens (~ 102 miles) - must raise $1500 for Cancer Research
  • Columbus to Athens and Back (~ 180 miles) - must raise  $2000 for Cancer

I know several people doing the whole thing, including one of my staff members (go Sean!).
 
Right now it's common to see cyclists training for the event - they are everywhere.  People ask me if I'm doing it - I guess they figure since I'm a runner, I must be in shape in general.  Oh no.  Nope.  Not me.  I'm intimidated by the bike.  All those gears and tires that need changing and riding so fast and dangerous wipeouts and the cars flying by from behind me.  Scary. 

Yet today, Ken had the great idea to ride our bikes to my parents' new house.  It's a little over 4 miles using the shortest route and almost 5 miles the longer route.  I was wary because of the busy streets and such.    But we did it anyway and, though it wasn't easy for me, it wasn't terrible either.  A couple hills were tough and it was all I could do to just keep my legs moving while in low gear. But we didn't have to walk the bikes, so that's great.  And even more exciting news: My hand/fingers didn't swell from the ride or house work.  Amazing.

We have Trek mountain bikes that are 15 years old.  They certainly aren't road bikes.  But that's okay.  I didn't want to go any faster than I did.  Ken had me lead the whole way so he wouldn't leave me in the dust.  That was smart.  We took the short route on the way there and the longer route on the way back.  We spent about 2 hours at the house doing repair/maintenance work. 

Speaking of my parents house, I think we rented the house today.  We still need to sign the papers and get the money, but we have a renter who has been through the application and credit check and she's excited about being able to move in soon. 

In other exercise news . . . I did 5 push-ups today.  Real ones.  My pecs were a little annoyed by the blatant ramp-up of rehab, but it felt good mentally to be able to do some push-ups.  Before the surgeries, I could do about 15 or so at a time.  I'm also keeping my weight steady (still down 10+ pounds since late May) by eating South Beach-like for most meals but allowing non-diet things like martinis, beer, chicken nachos, etc. on occasion.

Tonight we have a softball game.  That probably won't be much exercise, though, unless I get stuck batting before Ken or Matt and have to sprint from first to home.  Throwing is tough with weaker muscles, though.  I don't have much of an arm right now.  It's wimpy.  I asked Ken (shortstop) if he might get the cut-offs from right field.  I wouldn't have a problem getting the cut off, but after I have it, I can't throw it in to second, third, or home from out there.  Our first base might be able cover cutoffs, too.  We'll make it work. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment