Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ankle question

So who can explain to me why my ankle hurts when I get up and try to walk after sitting awhile?  It doesn't really bother me much when I run.  And it's not a joint thing, it's muscle or tendons or something like that.  Left ankle.  Outside, above and in front of the bump.  With soreness ranging down to the top of my foot.  It's just weird.  I limp quite a bit when I get up from a chair or the bed.  After I get going, it's not too bad, though.  I suppose you'll tell me it's old age.  I'm pretty sure it's related to running, though. 

I got a 5K in today using a less stringent run-walk-run method at about 3 minutes to 1 minute.  I think I lost track of minutes a few times and I'm pretty sure I ran four minutes a couple of times and I may have only done 2 once.  My miles were 11:32, 11:09, and 10:22.  The 5K was 33:50 or so.

I wore my custom glove when I ran and I prefer it to any other lymphedema option.  It breathes a little, which is much better than the complete coverage of the wrap.  Also, it covers only what is needed, but all that is needed, like a hand bikini.  I didn't wear the glove after the run and since it's a water retention time in my cycle, I'm probably a 4 out of 10 on the swelling scale today. 

Tonight I practiced volleyball with Val a bit on the front lawn.  She looks quite a bit better than last year at this time when I was her rec coach.  She has been complaining today about her inability to pass though.  And she isn't a great spiker either.  I helped her with passing and setting and Ken helped her with spiking.  She has a few things to focus on tomorrow.  With passing it's two things:  move your feet and stay square to the net and keep your thumbs parallel.  With setting, catch the ball closer to your forehead.  And with spiking, make the ball go up before coming down (she's too short to hit the ball down and still get it over the net).

I'm reading a book I really like - just a light read.  It's called Lavender Morning by Jude Deveraux.  I've wanted to read it all day and have stolen about 3 hours for it, I'd guess. Thus, the lawn went unmowed.  However, the martinis did get polished off from last night.

2 comments:

  1. My vote is inflamation. Same thing happens with the tendon across your arch. I think it gets better with walking/running because of circulation, but sedentary, it restricts locally around a joint/tendons and movement is initially painful. By the way, don't worry if guys start staring at your hand, they are just looking at the "hand bikini" : - ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, this sounds like the same pain (same area anyway) where I thought I had a stress fracture. Not sure if I posted this, but I saw the dr. and he said it's not a stress fracture, but maybe a nerve thing? It would hurt for a few seconds at a time, then let up, from two to hundreds of times a day. It's better now, probably because someone told me there was nothing wrong ;) keep running, it has helped me.

    ReplyDelete