Monday, August 2, 2010

Fat finger at the gym

Today I spent an hour at the gym.  I rode the recumbent stationary bike for 14 minutes (3 miles) to warm up and then hit the weights area.  There, I spent another 45 minutes with weights focusing on my arms, back, and a little on my core/sides.  I was using the 12.5 weights for benching, triceps, and biceps today and 7.5 for overhead presses.  I also did some stretching and power yoga.

My lymphedema wasn't bad yesterday but is acting up again today.  Since I had issues before I went to the gym, I can't blame it on weights.  I have an appointment with the physical therapist about it tomorrow afternoon.  I don't have much hope that it will do much good though.  I wish there seemed to be more medical research and information regarding lymphedema.  It seems to be just a "live with it" thing.

I keep hearing stories about how someone's mother or sister or someone had lots of lymph nodes taken out and they didn't get lymphedema.  With only 6 removed, I'm having a tough time believing that's the problem.  Maybe the issue is nerve damage where I'm numb just below my underarm.  Who knows. 

Some day, if medical folks begin to study it more aggressively, I wonder if Lymphedema diagnosis will become more detailed like breast cancer did.  When my grandmother had it in the 70s, it was all just breast cancer - just one thing.  Now there are different types of breast cancers and different suggested treatments and such.  I wish there was a body of work like that for Lymphedma.  Then again, it's not life-threatening, so I guess prioritizing the research money on things that are more important makes sense. 

Food Journal (but no formal diet right now):

Breakfast: lunchmeat
Lunch: spinach salad with cucumbers, roasted turkey, and hummus as dressing
Snack: soy nuts
Dinner: Chipotle salad with black beans, chicken, hot sauce, and guacamole
Dessert: a million cocoa roasted almonds
Drinks: water, sugar-free Tea2Go Raspberry tea (with Splenda)

1 comment:

  1. Comment probation is OVER! Hi Kelly.... okay, can't resist, "I gave someone the fat finger who cut me off on the way home today". : - ) Sooo, next to the lymph nodes, the thyroid is also very, very misunderstood by doctors. Maybe, there is some body of information out there that may explain what is happening better and give some options.....I would not be surprised and certainly would encourage hope.....particularly for someone with your courage, tenacity, and activity level. Oh Disney half marathoner : - ).
    Thanks for letting me still comment!

    ReplyDelete