Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fabulous weekend!

Where to start?

Wicked was an incredible show. If you haven't seen it, get tickets now. I read the book years ago and thought it was pretty dark and weird, so I was a little wary. As it turns out, I was blown away.  The show was funny and interesting and very well done.  Glenda was hilarious and a lot like Sharpay in High School Musical (the actress actually played that role, too).  Elphaba was green all over - very green.  She was also surprisingly girl-like and very real. 

The music was great.  Ken says the Defying Gravity song is so "me" and I can see that from his viewpoint, certainly, especially given the year I've had.  It's a song about personal power.  Elphaba has strong convictions, refuses to be brought down, does not accept that something can't be done until she tries it, trusts her instincts, takes risks, and chooses the right way, not the easy way.  I know I certainly value those things and try to live with a similar passion and courage. I know it also gets me in to trouble sometimes and I need a bucket of water thrown on me.

When we got home, I downloaded the CD of the original Wicked cast and I put it on Ken's new Droid and my Blackberry. I also bought a green Defying Gravity T-shirt which I wore to the Dublin Irish Fest today.  I guess I was a bit clueless about how the shirt might seem to those who haven't seen the show.  One guy snickered and only then did I realize that I had "Defy Gravity" written across my chest.  Hmmm.  I'm surprised that was the only response I noticed all day, after all, we were there for 10 hours.  Oh well.  I guess defying gravity is certainly something my new chest will always do. Who knew the shirt would have a literal meaning too?  How apropos. 

The festival was really great. It was warm, but we spent most of the day in the Dublin Stage tent enjoying the bands and partaking of Irish and fair-type food, Mike's Hard Lemonade, beer, water and Iced Tea. Other than the half mile jog to get there from the parking lot, today was not a day of exercise and wise food choices.

All the bands were very good but we most enjoyed the band called Solas and bought the CD.  Natalie MacMaster was amazing too.  She was one of the best performers I've ever seen.

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't get any better than that. So glad to see you both enjoying each other and the moments. Can't think of two people more deserving after all that has gone on this past year. Besides, if I ever get back to Columbus, I have some great places to check out with all these "links".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T-shirt slogan is too perfect!! The kids and I remember going to the Irish festival with you a few years ago -- really a neat event. I've heard that Wicked is terrific, too. It sounds like you and Ken ahd a wonderful weekend overall -- you two deserve some fun-filled escape time together!

    ReplyDelete