Friday, August 13, 2010

Running and softball

I'm happy to say that I got out to run this morning.  I didn't get out early enough, but at least I got in 3.39 miles.  Once again, I ran the first 2 miles, walked .2 and then ran the rest.  My miles were 11:41, 10:40, 11:55 with a 5K of 50:02.

This evening, Ken and I had the semi-final and championship softball games.  With the surgery in Spring, I was out most of the season but played a few games at the end of the season.  Tonight we had two tough games.  We came from behind to win the first game and I had a great play at 2nd base.  A man hit a hard ground ball to me and I fielded it cleanly and threw him out at first.  It was the best play I've had in years.  I had a chance for a repeat the second game, but I shied away from the ball and didn't get in front of it.  I did make a couple of outs in the championship game though.  I caught 2 or 3 balls Ken threw to me for force outs and I caught a pop fly that everyone thought was going to fall behind me.

My hitting was terrible all night.  The best hit I had was the last hit of the last game (to lose it).  If the short stop wouldn't have been 7 foot tall, I would have been on base.  He even had to jump for it.  It was the best hit I could have asked for, but not good enough.  We lost by one run.

Ken (short stop) had at least one double play and several hot-shot catches tonight.  One was a diving catch that he followed with what I call a volleyball roll and landed on his feet ready to throw the tagger at home.  The guy didn't run.  He knew better.  It was a fabulous play.  Ken also hit a triple in the championship game.  

It was insanely hot tonight, 90s and sunny.  My field position was in the sun the entire first game.  I lucked out and caught a very hard throw from the outfield when three quarters of the way to me, I lost it in the sun.  I heard/felt it smack in my glove so I knew when to squeeze it. Scary. 

We're off to go camping for the weekend now. I hope it doesn't continue to be this hot.  My hand will certainly be a huge swollen mess if I'm out in the heat the whole weekend.  During the game, I wore my batter's glove on my left hand the whole time and it seemed to help.  I had a little swelling in the back pad of my hand.  My fingers were fine though.

Lymphedema rating for today:  3 out of 10.  Although I ran with a full wrap on this morning, I had some swelling in my fingers and the back of my hand, so I wrapped my knuckles with stretchy tape stuff for a few hours at work and then wore the glove most of the rest of the day.  It seemed to take care of it.  Before the game tonight, my hand was looking fine. 

I'm also doing well with food choices.  I had 2 bites of my multi-grain bread at Panera today (it came with my chicken caesar salad - I didn't eat the croutons), but other than that, I did just fine.  I'll probably have a beer tonight though.  Still, I'm at least maintaining my weight if not starting the trend downward again.  I'm in the smaller sized clothes in my closet.  That's certainly a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment