Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, Ken!

It's Ken's birthday today and he's off getting his new Droid Incredible set up.  While he was off doing that, I decided to go outside and exercise.

Although the day is beautiful - upper 70s and sunny, I was a bit wary about going out and doing much after the last 2 days which were fairly heavy workout days for me.  My quads and hips were sore from the cycling yesterday and my ankle has been in warning mode, not hurting, just letting it's annoyance be known.  So I went out easy and walked a mile, ran a mile, walked a mile, and then ran/walked the last mile.  In total, I traversed 4.22 miles with my miles at 15:27, 10:26, 15:53, and 11:44.

While I was on the road, I listened to Steverunner's "Caffeinated Running" episode on Phedippidations.  I don't drink coffee (and I've cut way back on Diet Coke and tea), so the content wasn't that relevant for me, but I enjoyed listening to the show anyway.  His format is such that the topic of each show doesn't take up the whole thing, it's just a part of what he discusses.  He's a grandfather now and talked about meeting his granddaughter for the first time, for example.

The kids are still in Cleveland with Ken's parents for the week.  So this morning, I went out and got Ken a Boston Cream donut (my favorite too) and put a candle in it.  Then the kids called at the pre-arranged time and on speaker phone they joined me in singing happy birthday to Ken as I took his donut in for a breakfast-in-bed treat.  Breakfast in bed is a tradition for parent birthdays, mothers day, and fathers day in our family. 

To include the kids more fully, I took a picture of Ken with his cards and breakfast and sent it to Val's phone.  It took a few tries to get enough light for a good picture.  After the first low-light pic, I said, :Wait, I have to do that again."  And Jason said "Good, I think my eyes were shut."  He's such a funny kid.  That was pretty quick-witted, I think.  Then again, I'm biased.  The donut was Val's idea, so she gets kudos for the whole breakfast celebration today.

Tonight we will have an early dinner at the Columbus Fish Market and then we'll go downtown to see Wicked. 

I hope you are having a great weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment