Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fast 5K

As usual, things have been very busy.  Monday, Val had her first volleyball game (she won in 2).  Tuesday, Jason had a parent/teacher meeting.  Tonight Val had another volleyball game (again, won in 2).

Tonight, I didn't stay for the 8th grade game, so I got home in time to run.  I ran a 5K and then walked another .3 miles or so.  My miles were 11:05, 10:40, and 10:18.  The 5K was 32:55.  I'm amazed at my pace because I did a run-walk-run ratio of 3 minutes running to one minute walking throughout until I got to the last walk break.  I skipped the last walk break since it was scheduled to begin at 30 minutes and I was already so close to the 5K mark. I don't know when the last time I ran a sub 33:00 5K was.  I would guess it's been a long time.  Maybe pre-surgery?  I'll have to check back through my postings to see if that's true.  My fastest 5K was under 30:00, but I trained really hard to meet that goal.  I think that was in May 2008, the same year as my one and only half marathon. 

Despite it being over 90 degrees this evening, my run was great.  The humidity is low and the sun was behind the trees and houses often enough to keep me out of direct sunlight.  I was in such a hurry to get changed and out the door before everyone got home that I forgot to wrap my hand.  I realized it about half-way, but didn't turn back.  I'm surprised my hand didn't swell much and actually it is pretty much the same as it was all day.  That's really amazing.  I think it really made a difference that I didn't get overheated. 

I'd rate the lymphedema at 3 out of 10 all day today, including before and after the run. 

Tuesday morning I worked out with a yoga CD and did some weights to strengthen my arms and chest.  The only weights I have here are 8 lbs each, but they are better than nothing.  It's amazing to think of what I used to work out with and now to realize that 8 lbs is plenty to start building my muscle back.  I've lost a lot of ground with my arms, core, back, and neck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment