Friday, September 17, 2010

Priceless

Pretty much nothing positive is happening in the realm of exercise, fitness, and weight control this week.  Well, almost nothing.  We've equipped our office with exercise balls so we can switch out our chairs for a few hours at a time to get some mostly passive core work in during the day.  I tried it for an hour two different times today.  I found that it was easy to slouch and defeat the purpose, so I had to consciously straighten my back and roll back my shoulders to keep good posture while sitting on the ball and typing away on my keyboard.  I'll keep trying it off and on to see if I notice a difference.  I'm still very wimpy in the core and upper body compared to what I was prior to the surgeries.

On Sept 29, we start a Hit the Road with the Buckeyes event for which I have to track each step I take and log my miles weekly.  I'm on a team with four other colleagues and we are competing against hundreds of other teams at OSU.  I always get a head-start on this event because I spend the first few days at a conference in Chicago and walk everywhere. 

I haven't exercised much this week, unfortunately.  Things have been incredibly busy at work, but I'm not complaining because they have been good-busy.  We had a breakthrough on a reorganization project my boss, a colleague, and I have been working on for many months.  We finally figured out funding for a new position in my area which will allow us to hire some knowledge and skill for which we have been deficient for years.  We also realigned some staff to make better use of peoples' skills across the organization.  Today we unveiled our plan to some of the staff who are affected and they shared our enthusiasm about the opportunities this new structure will allow.  We still have some specifics to work out and have LOTS of work in training and work distribution after the changes are made, but it's all worth it.  I really feel like I made a positive impact on OSU today.  What a great day.

And to top it all off, Valerie sent me a text today in which she sent a picture of hearts and a recording of herself singing the prose from the card she gave me on my birthday.  It was very touching.  What a great kid.

We just got back from pizza and beer (the kids had soda pop, of course) at Kingy's.  Jason has a friend spending the night - Kemper is a great kid and fun to have around.  On the way home from the pizza joint, we turned up the radio to an insane volume and everyone rocked out.

Days like this . . . priceless. 

1 comment:

  1. Great day Kelly. You are right, does not get any better than that. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete