Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Run, vball, swim, & work

I ran a 5K this morning.  It was humid, warm, and a tough run because I've been so inconsistent with exercising lately.  My 5K was 33:47 and the miles were 11:01, 10:58, and 10:54.  I did this run with a consistent 3 minutes run followed by 1 minute walk.  I shortened the last walk to 30 seconds, though because I needed to get in quickly to get to work on time.

Valerie had a volleyball game tonight.  She's on the Jr High team and plays on the second of two teams.  The coach has the first team play the first game and the second team play the second game.  If the match goes to three games, whichever team wins their game (usually the first team, but once the second team) gets to start the third game.  Tonight the first team won and the second team lost.  So the first team went out for the third game.  A few points into that game we were losing and the coach substituted Valerie in for one of the players.  This is the first time she's played with the top group.  She didn't get much action since she only got the chance to bump the ball once the whole rest of the game, but she was always in position and was a positive influence on the others.  I was proud of her, of course. 

Jason is also doing well with his 5th and 6th grade volleyball team.  He's an incredible server and hustles a lot.  He also seems to be having fun.  He has a more competitive nature than Valerie and cares more about doing really well and about winning.  And I really like his coaches - his dad and our friend, Jeff.  They are supportive of all the players and really know their stuff. 

Swim team started for the kids this week, but we weren't able to go at all due to Val's volleyball schedule.  I contacted the coaches and they were okay with it.  I'll probably take the kids to the RPAC pool at OSU on Sunday to have them put some time in the water.  I don't want them to get too far behind on conditioning because the coaches took care to get the kids into the right levels based on speed and conditioning.  If Val and Jason start a month later than everyone else, they are likely to get run over and discouraged.  I was getting pretty stressed about the logistics of getting the kids to swimming practice, but Ken talked me down from that.  It shouldn't be much different from last year and we made it work most of the time then.  This year Ken will probably take them to swimming more often than I will because their swim days coincide with the days he leaves early to get them off the bus. 

Work is going to be really busy for me for awhile - even more so than normal.  Until I can get two new managers in place and contributing, I'll have to continue to do what amounts to almost three jobs.  I'll be managing all but 2 staff members, performing business analysis and project management work, training staff in new roles, interviewing manager candidates, and doing my regular Director duties.  Obviously, I won't be able to do a stellar job at any of those things.  My AVP is very supportive, though, and has offered to take some of my OSU-wide Director roles while I'm putting more focus internally to my department for awhile.  We'll have to figure out what I can hand off and what will just wait for me for a later focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment