Thursday, September 9, 2010

Work stress, but great run

It's been a tough few weeks at work.  We are behind on planning for the fiscal and performance year which began July 1 and my group has some pretty serious staffing issues.  We just hired some student employees, which will help, but we still have technical and managerial roles that need both funded and filled.  I rarely lose sleep over anything, but I've been tossing and turning over these issues. Once we get the funding figured out (not my decision), I'll make decisions on the reorganization of the group, write position descriptions, and figure out when and how to fill open positions.  My team is really counting on a plan to move us out of this time of uncertainty and to focus their efforts.  I hope we can get some answers from leadership so we can move on this soon.  It's affecting everyone's morale and productivity, including mine.

To try to help manage stress and deal with my sleeping issues, I got out to walk last night (2 miles in 31 minutes) and I ran 5 miles today in 53:28.  My 5K was 32:20.  My miles were 10:42, 10:45, 10:05, 10:35, and 11:21.  Check out all those 10's!  And I got those times while using the run-walk-run method.  I alternated running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute through most of the run.  The last mile, I walked more often.  Afterward, I walked another 7 minutes or so to log a full hour on the pavement and to cool down a bit.  It really was a great run.

For the run, I wore my custom lymphedema glove with my MacGyver customization (I cuff the too-tight wrist band and put two pieces of rolled up paper/cardboard in the cuff).  It worked pretty well today because my hand didn't swell much.  My index and middle fingers and the back of my hand were a little swollen when I took off the glove, but not bad for being out for an hour.  After the run, I'd rate my swelling at 3 out of 10.  About 10 hours later, my rating is 2 out of 10.

I'm pretty tired tonight, so I'll head to bed as soon as the kids do - maybe 9:30 or so.  For a short week, this certainly has been a long one.

1 comment:

  1. Take care of yourself Kelly and don't let that job get the best of you. Great running and maybe a good tension reliever....and motivator since you are one of the 1st runners to run faster when they walk too! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete