Sunday, September 12, 2010

Swell weekend (pun intended)

After doing two 5 milers this week, I thought I'd better take it a little light this weekend.  I don't want to get injured.  And my hand is swelling more now.  Saturday, I did a quick run before Jason's volleyball game.  I put in 2 miles, 10:13 and 10:03.  Because I knew I was short on time, and because I planned to run a short distance, I decided to run the whole time.  I didn't take the 1 minute walk break after every 3 minutes as I've been doing on longer runs.  Interestingly, my miles weren't any faster without the walk breaks.  After running the two miles, I walked another .33 home to cool down.

Jason's volleyball game was fun.  He is playing with the 5th and 6th graders (he's a young 4th grader).  Ken is coaching the team with a friend of ours, Jeff, who has a 5th grade daughter.  We decided to have Jason play up so Jeff and Ken could coach together and Jason wouldn't have to play on teams with his 4th grade girl classmates.  Besides, he filled in for Val's 5th and 6th grade team last year when we had two injured players.  We knew he could hang with the group.  And he did.

He had a great first game.  His serve is wicked when it is in bounds.  He has a bit of trouble with control, but it's a strong overhand serve that kids at that level can rarely handle.  At one time up, he served 5 times over in a row and then they make them rotate so the games don't get stalled with just one kid serving the whole game. Another girl on our time had the same success. 

Jason's team won all three sets and then he and Ken went to the OSU game while I took Val and a friend to a movie at Easton.  Actually, I dropped them off at the front door and they bought their own tickets, refreshments, and went to the movie (Flipped). 

While they were at the movie, I went to Starbucks and had iced black tea and read my book.  I also went to Victoria Secret to look at bras.  I finally had enough courage to let someone measure me and she pegged me for a solid 36B.  That's what I was before the cancer and surgeries, so that's good.  The 36B bras at Kohls didn't really work.  However, the wireless ones at Victoria Secret were fine.  I bought two.  They aren't the fancy ones you think of when you hear "Victoria Secret," though.  These are the bras at the back of the store by the dressing rooms.  The ones in drawers and without much marketing or style fanfare.  No wires or push-up padding.  I can't use those things anymore.  I don't squish that way.  Although 90% of the bras in the store were off-limits to me, I left feeling much more positive about my plight than I have in a long time.  I'm a 36B and I have two bras that pretty much fit. 

I'm not feeling great about my hand, though.  It is swelling this weekend.  After my run on Saturday, I wore the cotton glove with the bean bag on the back to press down my swelling.  It kind of works.  The swelling overall goes down, but some places stay puffy so it looks strange when the glove comes off.  Tonight I'm trying my compression glove again - with the folded up pieces of cardboard that serve to loosen the wrist band.  We'll see if that helps or not.  I've got another PT appointment at 9am tomorrow morning.  I hope they will listen to me this time and request the wrist band be made significantly looser, like maybe a 1/2 inch or more.  Last time they disagreed with my assessment and were reluctant to change it.  They only requested it to be 1/8 larger and ordered a wider wrist band thinking that might make it more comfortable.  Nope.  Didn't work.  Let's try it again.  I hope the third time is a charm and not a strike.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend Kelly, but I also hope you get more support from your PT advisors for your hand. Nice that you had a positive visit to Victoria Secret....I get nervous just walking by the store : - )......let alone going to the back of the store and going through someone's drawers ......okay, being silly....smile and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete