Sunday, December 13, 2009

'Tis the season

It's beginning to [feel] a lot like Christmas

Our house is decorated. We're buying Christmas presents.  Church is including holiday songs in the service.  Ken is playing the "All Christmas, All the Time" radio stations.  The kids are bringing home candy canes and continuously revising their Christmas lists.  Jason is asking the dreaded questions asked by Virginia and other kids who are questioning everything as they grow up.  Friends are sending Christmas cookies and other goodies.  Ken started our gas fireplace today and I'm sipping peppermint tea and writing by the fire.  We are so truly blessed this Christmas season.

Everywhere I go

Friday night, one of my staff members had a house warming party.  Dan bought his first house and he invited friends and colleagues to celebrate with him.  I was so impressed!  The house is beautiful and he's really smart to begin his investment now.  Jason was at a sleepover party, so we took Valerie and I was very proud of her there.  She was even interested in the house tour.  However, it was the chocolate fountain that had her hooked for most of the time we were there.  I purposely didn't take my meds in the afternoon so I could have a drink there if I wanted.  I ended up having just a beer, but it had been so long since I had one, it was really good and freeing to be able to get out and celebrate.

Saturday night we went to Jean and Richard's house for our annual QOI (Quality and Operations Improvement) party.  Ken worked in the Medical Center's QOI office for a few years after we got married.  He had such incredible colleagues there and though most of them have moved on to other jobs, they continue to get together yearly to keep in touch and celebrate their life changes.

They are a very fun group and we had a wonderful time.  Jean and Richard are well-known for their fantastic drinks, so I went the afternoon and evening without meds in preparation for that party too.  There I had 2 Lemon Pie martinis and a "Cup of Yum" (chocolate martini) over about 4 hours.  It was heavenly. 

See, all I need are some parties to get me off these silly meds.  The proper incentive is all I lacked. 

Another fun part of the QOI party are the gift exchanges.  Val got a Target gift card and Jason got Pokemon cards, so they are both quite excited.  The adults also had a gift exchange (the type where we draw numbers and steal presents from each other).  We got a modern candle and holder that will go great with the decor in our newly renovated basement.

Our marathon/ironman friend didn't make it to the QOI party, however I think most everyone else did. It was particularly great to talk with one of the women who also has cancer and is a runner.  She was very inspiring as we talked about her treatment and strong motivation to run. She has already completed a marathon and plans to do another one in the next year or two, despite the fact that she needs surgery and may need another round of chemo. She's amazing! We laughed at many things about our plights and shared our stories, including what we each have ahead of us.

I had a wonderful time but I paid for it last night. It wasn't the martinis that got to me, though. I didn't feel them at all. Missing a couple of Percocets and muscle relaxants, however, made for a very sore night and early morning. Even today while on the meds, I have a very sore place on the left side.  It was worth it though.  I'd do it again despite the pain.  So I guess it couldn't have been that bad.  I may have overdone it a bit on Saturday during the day, though.  I went shopping and made some food for the party.  Now it seems like I have fluid collecting on the left side.  I'm not going to panic about it yet, I'll just watch it and hope my body catches on that it needs to drain.  It could turn into lymphedema, the doctor might have to drain it with a needle on Thursday, or it could just go away by itself.  I'll take door # 3.

On the positive side, prior to both parties, I took REAL showers.  That was almost as wonderful as the parties.  Washing in a soapy wonderland.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the holiday celebrations.
    Are you going to throw a blog party? You now have 1000 hits on your amazing blog. As a loyal blog reader I want you to know how much I appreciate it. There is no other way we could have stayed so informed the last couple of months. It was so brave and so thoughtful of you to do it for us.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your mom's comment and really appreciate the blog and being able to keep up and be inspired. It is also really, really nice to hear you enjoying the holiday. There is no one that deserves the company of good friends, family, and some relax time more than you .... and Ken too.

    ReplyDelete