Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sporting a B now, just in time for Christmas

I got my expanders filled today and I got another 90 cc x 2 for a total of 410 cc in each.  Afterward, we went directly to Kohl's and I learned that I fit in some B bras now.  I'm still shaped too "pancake-like" to fit very well, but I purchased 2 new B bras from Kohls.  I came home and immediately tried on what seemed like hundreds of shirts to find ones that fit given the new shape I'm sporting these days.  I needed to know what to pack to take to Nebraska.  Some of my old standbys no longer really work and some of the things that were iffy before now are okay.  It's strange.

My expanders are wider than the implants will be so I am wider and feel a bit barrel chested.  Some of the saline is under my arms instead of on my chest.  Also, the shape is a little different between the left and right.  It's certainly something I'll have to get used to since I need to have these expanders in for at least another 8 or 12 weeks. 

I think I'm getting really close to the right size now since the bras fit.  So I need to wait until my appointment with the surgeon on Jan 14 to find out if he wants more fills to make room for the right implant.  If I don't need more fills, I'll be ready for my second surgery in 8 weeks.  If I need more fills, it will be more like 12+ weeks before I get these expanders out.

In talking with the nurse today I learned that the implants will be MUCH more comfortable than the expanders.  She brought in examples of both and the implants are much softer and pliable than the expander.  They are also shaped quite differently and are not attached to my chest in any way, instead, they fill the cavity and move with me.  Now I get pinched pretty hard if I try to do something that makes the expander try to shift in any direction.  I'm so glad I won't be living with that terrible feeling once I get the implants.  Aside from the obvious day-to-day limitations, it really makes sleeping difficult since I'm a side-sleeper and I like to switch sides often.

Ken's family has all arrived now and we're having a wonderful evening with wine and cheese and Christmas cookies.  I get deliriously happy when I get to use my reindeer plates and my Christmas platters.  The kids were playing without adult supervision, although Val is sometimes taking on that role.  Now they are getting ready for bed.  All 5 of them are sleeping in Jason's bedroom tonight (ages 2.5, 5, 7, 8 and 11).  Val (age 11) is the only girl, but she'll be the first to explain that she isn't a "girly girl" so she can relate and play well with all the boys.  And she does. 

Remember all those cute little pajamas with feet?  The youngest still has those and he's soooo cute!

I hope you all are having wonderful holiday celebrations with your family and friends.  Such times really make me understand what is important.  I know I made the right decision in getting rid of the cancer and pre-cancer all at once.  I'd like to have many, many more of these family celebrations.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I still have pajamas with feet.... enjoy the holidays and all the cute little ones. Glad to hear all the rehab progress. I am also so glad to hear you talking about many more family celebrations and knowing. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete