Sunday, December 6, 2009

Life is good

Before I went to bed Ken was being the scientist/analyst considering why my drains might be so low (I had them constricted most of yesterday).  I took this as him trying to find a reason to keep the drains in and I wasn't happy.  I went to bed a bit peeved about it.

Then this morning I woke up 5 hours past when I was due to take meds and couldn't bring myself to get out of bed to start another day with the major pain of working the entire day around these *%&$*#^$ drains.  I worked myself up to being mad at Ken for conspiring to keep the drains in longer and I was upset and fed up.

I was emotional and Jason (age 8) found me crying in the kitchen.  He asked if I was laughing and I told him I was crying.  He came over and gave me a hug and patted my back and said "it's ok, it's ok" and that made me cry more.  He was so cute and nice.  He asked me if I was crying because I hurt or because I'm sad and he seemed glad to hear it was because I was sad.  He huged me more. During this, he would stop to look behind us a couple of times and once he asked where dad was.  It was so cute.  He was being so supportive and looking for a way out at the same time.  Such a little man. I was very proud of him.

Before surgery and when we first told the kids about the cancer, I told them I might be sad sometimes but it's not because I'm sicker than they thought, it's just because I don't want to have the surgery and I'm sad I have to do it.  So Jason went right to that when I told him I was sad and he was cool with it.

Later, after meds and sulking and talking to Ken, all the while knowing I was being ridiculous, I started to feel better.  I knew all along that Ken doesn't want to make this harder for me.  He's the most supportive husband in the world!  His desire to make sure I don't have complications was just conflicting with my insanely strong need to rip these drains out. 

Anyway, it was an unusally slow day at our house today.  Mom had to fly back to Nebraska this morning.  We miss her.  The kids didn't have swimming because of a swim meet for some of the older kids.  I watched some episodes of Pushing Daisies that Karen lent to me.  Ken started the work needed to decorate the outside of the house.  Both kids played with friends and did homework.  Bob was kind enough to bring over some very yummy chicken chili, so we had lunch catered by Bob and Stephanie and dinner by Katie from work.  Ken forced me out to join him for a 1/2 mile walk which was cold, but wonderful.  Ken is at volleyball now (a team I would be playing on too if I wasn't on the injured list this year). 

So all is well in the world of Kelly again.  I'm feeling much better and have moved back up the mood elevator to Grateful.  How did I get so fortunate to have such a great husband, kids, family and friends?!  We've had such great food from so many people, too.  Everyone is sending food to warm up in the oven or microwave, so I can even do it - it's nice that I can do something around here!  We even got a contribution to have dinner or lunch at Catalfinos and I'm really looking forward to that one of these days coming up.  Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this made me cry. I could just feel Jason taking care of you. We think of you each day, and hope and have confidence that you're getting stronger. I hope you are not too lonely at home alone this week...I've been a bit worried about that. Miss you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete