Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cancer Free!

I had great news today. As a result of my Nov 23 surgery, I’m cancer-free! My surgical oncologist is not recommending ANY follow-up treatment for cancer. No chemo or hormone therapy (tamoxifin) is required. This is such a relief!

Ken and my mother went to the appointment with me and both of them are absolutely giddy.  We picked up hot fudge sundaes and brought them home for us and the kids to celebrate.  Tonight we've been calling family and starting phone trees to let everyone know.  Ken's mom, my father, my grandmother, Ken's cousin, Lee Ann, Jeff and Jen, and Bob were among those we've already talked with and they shared our excitement with strong reactions and celebration.  As I write this, Mom and Ken are still on separate phones sharing the news and I'm getting text messages from friends who are finding out from others.  It's so wonderful!

As for me, I have a tendency to bypass celebrations and focus on upcoming challenges (I'm always asking "what's next") and I find myself fighting to not do that this time.  I still have many months of doctor appointments, at least one more surgery, and over a year of rehab for reconstruction.  I'm also up 10 pounds since all this started two months ago.  It's difficult for me to be as excited as everyone else, though I know that makes absolutely no sense.

I have so much to be grateful for.  I will not die from breast cancer.  It is extremely unlikely that I will ever have breast cancer again.  I will be around to help my children as they grow up and I'll know their children.  I'll grow old with my wonderful husband.  I only need to visit the James Cancer Care clinic Dublin yearly now, for a physcial exam.  I will not need to have chemo!  No pills, either.  It is a day to celebrate. 

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, vibes, books, movies, food, cards, gifts, and support.  I can't begin to tell you what all this has meant for me and my family.  "Thank you" seems to be such a weak response for the gratitude I feel.  As I get to feeling better and move beyond the physical and emotional pain, I will find a way to pay this all forward and to help others.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kelly! This is EXCELLENT news! I am thrilled for you. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo happy for you and your family! Glad nothing is going to delay healing and reconstruction. Just try to relax and let your body recuperate for a while now.

    And the box for Rach did make it here today. Very thoughtful of you to be doing stuff for us when you should be focusing all of your energy on yourself. Lots of love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly.... pause and savor the moment.... and all the future moments ahead with Ken, Val, Jason, the rest of your family and those super friends. Wow! I think the world was given a gift today too.....lots of future moments with one extrordinary woman and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    That is FANTASTIC news. We are so happy for you, Ken and the kids!!! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoo hoo! That's great. Try and keep perspective. I have a hard time with that too, but it's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,
    I'm so happy for you and your family as you receive this wonderful news. I'm also amazed by your courage and attention to gratitude at this time. Thank you for posting.
    --Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly,
    This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you and all those who have been there by your side during this trying time. It has to be a relief to know that all the sacrifices (physical and emotional) have given you the results you were hoping and praying for.
    Stacey Baxter Lauby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome news Kelly! I know you have a long recovery ahead of you, but you also have a long future with your family and friends!! Congrats on your great news!!
    Michelle Bjornsen sandal

    ReplyDelete