Friday, December 11, 2009

Shower and a house warming

Mornings are not good.  I have certainly turned back into a non-morning person.  Whether or not I get up to take meds in the middle of the night, I still have a tough time in the morning.  It's difficult to get out of bed and to start the day with the annoying sponge bath ritual.  Also, it's such a strange sensation to go from a prone position to upright.  It's like the expanders move around in my chest and change position too. 

Tonight we went to Dan's housewarming party.  His house is an old victorian-type place and it's really, really nice.  I was very impressed.  He's a smart guy to do the first home buyer thing right now for the federal funds.  And on top of that, he got money from the university as an incentive to purchase in an area that campus wants rehabed by OSU employees. 

Jason was at a birthday party sleepover, but Valerie came with us to the party.  There were no other kids there, but Dan had a chocolate fountain and that was all she needed to be happy.  We also had some great conversations with some of his church friends.

Before we went out, I took a shower.  Kinda.  I had a big surprise when I got up this morning because my drain hole actually kept draining when I took off the dressing to check it out.  Drainage was almost pouring out and I had to move quickly to get a new dressing on it.  I checked it halfway through the day and it was better, only seeping a little.  So I changed the dressings 3 or 4 times and I think it's going to be okay now.  I'm just taking it pretty easy and not over-doing it this weekend.  But I digress.

In preparation for the shower, I got a sandwich baggie and applied two layers of tape so I could put it over my dressings on the left side.  Then I stood in the shower so the left side didn't get very wet until the end of the shower when I quickly washed and rinsed my left arm and the area around the sandwich bag dressing.  It must have worked pretty well because the dressings under the bag were still dry.  I changed them again anyway.

After we got home tonight, I opened a card from some friends who we don't see very often.  I've always admired Sheila and Tim and it was such a nice surprise to read their card and learn that I'm an inspiration to them.  Sheila has undergone amazing health challenges and is a highly respected leader at the Hospitals and Tim is an Ironman who trains with my friend Tom.  Sheila and Tim are incredible people and inspire me all the time.  I hope they are at the Christmas party we're going to tomorrow night.  I'd like to thank them for the card and catch up with all of the amazing things they've done since I last saw them.

Well, it's starting to actually feel a bit like Christmas.  I even wore a Christmas sweater when we went out tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to say, mornings are still hard. The sitting up part is painful, but after moving around for 5-10 minutes, it's much better. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete