Thursday, December 10, 2009

Drain free and growing

Well, I've had a big day today.  The doctor decided to take the last drain out before doing the first expander fill.  That was certainly unexpected.  They told us it would stay in untill it drained less than 30 cc each day for two days.  My last 3 days with that drain were 38, 38, and 39.  He wrestled with the idea and in the end decided to pull it since we were filling the expander and will leave less space for fluid to collect anyway. 

Soooooooooo . . .  (queue the Born Free music)  I'm . . . drain . . . free!

I thought I'd feel back to normal after getting the drains out, but the expanders are really a pain too.  I hope the final implants are more comfortable than these expanders.  I expected to feel like my skin is pulled much too tight, but it doesn't feel like that at all.  Instead, I feel like a truck is parked on my upper chest.  I think it's the pec muscle rebelling.  Also, I feel hard, pointy places in the cleveage.  The doc checked it and said it was the expander. 

I learned something else today too.  My right breast still has lots of feeling left in it.  I don't know if that feeling will outlast the stretching and the second surgery, but I certainly felt the needle going in for the fill process. Ouch!  My left side felt it much differently.  It was more of a numb, nauseous feeling.  In all, though, it wasn't as bad as I expected.  Maybe it will be worse next time when the skin is tighter and they put in more saline.  During the surgery, the doctor was able to put in 180cc and today they added 60 to each side.  So if you ask me my bra size, I'll say 240.  Ok, not really.  But it's good I'm making progress.

Today I also learned that the surgeon actually took out 6 lymph nodes, 3 sentinal and 3 others.  All were clear of cancer.

Tonight I'll go out to meet two friends who I haven't seen since before the diagnosis.  It will be great to get out and talk.  Too bad I can't join them in a glass of wine though.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got that last drain out! The musical interlude cracked me up :)

    I hope the pain from the expander fill doesn't last too long. Keep up with the pain meds and be good to yourself!

    ReplyDelete