Saturday, December 19, 2009

Staff lunch and swim meet

It's a very busy weekend for the Orr household.  Friday, Ken and I had our holiday luncheon with our colleagues.  I met them at a great restaurant I'd never heard of, Cantina Laredo and it was great to see everyone again.  I've only been off work for a little over 3 weeks, but it seems much longer. When I got home I found Ken had brought home a huge Fruit basket with a poinsettia and breast cancer awareness ribbons from my fabulous staff.  The message was "congratulations" for being cancer-free.  Before Friday, I was feeling a bit left out and missing the great people at work.  Now I'm looking forward to going back after the holidays. 

On Saturday and Sunday, we have a swim meet all day long.  Well, most of the day.  Today (Saturday), we left the house at 6:20am and warmups started at 7:30am.  The last event ended at 3pm.  I offiiciated ALL DAY.  It was a bit much and I was very tired after being on my feet all that time.  However, each day-long session is long enough to count for 2 sessions out of the 6 sessions I have to officiate this season in order to keep my official's certification active.  I certainly don't want to take all those tests again, so I'm going to try to get my 6 in before the season ends.  I'm not sure whether I'll officiate tomorrow.  I'm withholding that decision to I see how I'm feel in the morning.  It would be nice to get two more session credits, though.

To officiate, I have to wear a white shirt and blue pants.  The blue pants are easy enough, but a white shirt during this reconstruction time was quite a difficult thing to come by.  I can't wear an underwire bra (doctor's orders) and so I only have one non-athletic bra that doesn't have a wire.  It also doesn't have fitted cups so I don't quite fill it right now.  I ended up putting shoulder pads that I always cut out of shirts (my shoulders are padded quite enough, thank you) in the bra to make it not so obviously wrinkly under a white shirt.  Then I tried on probably 5 white shirts before I found a short sleeved sweater that was thick enough to mask the bra issues. 

So whether I officiate tomorrow is also impacted by whether I can find another white shirt to wear.  Maybe I'll have to wear a sports bra and go around uni-boob.  That's not as bad in a sweatshirt, but in a somewhat see-through white shirt, it's not ideal.  I may wear a very light shirt with a white 3/4 length jacket/shirt over it.  Layers works well.  Unless it gets too hot, of course.

It was supposed to snow a lot here today, but it didn't.  It was too warm and so it mostly misted today with a few flurries in the early morning. 

The kids did fine at the meet today.  It was a HUGE meet with 418 kids swimming. Val shaved 21 seconds off her 200 IM and she won her 100 backstroke heat by a 1/2 length of the pool.  Jason had his first serious competition this year.  In previous meets, he has taken first and second place in the back and free.  This meet was a bit more challenging.  Although he was disappointed in his events, we were very excited that he completed the breaststroke without once doing a scissor kick.  He also placed a very respectable 6th out of 36 in his 25 backstroke and 10th out of 36 in his 50 freestyle. 

Tonight we're doing grade homework.  Lots of it.  Most other kids in the area are already out for the holidays, but we started school late because of several new schools being built in our district.  So while everyone else is taking it easy tonight, we're doing math, reading, and working on a group project for which Val seems to be doing most of the work.  I'm proud of her for taking the responsibility and doing what needs done, though.

1 comment: