Monday, January 31, 2011

The flow of the track

Today I followed my training plan and ran 6 miles in 64 minutes.  I was very inconsistent with the run/walk ratio, as is obvious by my mile splits: 10:34, 9:56, 10:52, 10:55. 11:22, and 10:35. 

I was running on the RPAC track again, going around and around that 1/8 mile track.  Since I got off work late and it was cold and dark outside, I had lots of company there tonight.  I let the flow of the group and the politics of ducking into the inside lanes for walking and the outside lanes for running impact my decisions about when to run and walk.  I didn't run my own race, I guess.  Hmmmm, if I didn't hold my ground with a few people on the track, I wonder if I'll be able to follow the plan in a mass of humanity running 13.1 miles. 

I'm also reluctant to admit that I may be heading toward injury.  My calf muscles are pretty annoyed lately.  While officiating the swim meet this weekend, I had to stretch often and was uncomfortable standing on deck for hours.  When I got home, Ken helped me use the evil foam roller thing to try to work out the knots in my calves.  Ouch!  So I guess it was good I didn't run Saturday or Sunday.  Today I could tell they were tight and may have been affecting my stride a bit.  It wasn't painful, just annoying. 

Speaking of the swim meet, Val and Jason did great this weekend.  Both improved time on every event they swam and both returned for finals.  Success is great, however it makes for a long day.  We were there Friday 4pm-7:30, and Saturday and Sunday 7am-12:30 and 3:45-7:30pm.  I was on deck the whole time and felt as tired as the kids after the long hours.  I was also inspired by them.  Val was adamant she would break 30 seconds on her 50 free.  She swam a 29:10 in prelims and then in finals she did even better at 28-something.  She was really working hard and I was a very proud Mom.  The time didn't really matter to me, though.  I was just impressed that she wanted it so much and went out and got it.  For those non-swimmers reading this, even to improve a short distance time by tenths or hundredths of a second is a goal often out of reach.  Dropping 2 seconds at her age and skill level is pretty impressive.  It was all a result of a new mind set and determination.  I'm sure she had the physical ability to do it for quite some time.

I, on the other hand, might have more physical than mental limitations in my training right now.  These calf issues are probably a warning and I should do something about it before I have to skip training days because of pain.  Maybe I should slow down.  I am running a bit fast lately (for me).  I really like my watch to say 10-something for each mile, though.  It's like an addiction.  I'm addicted to 10, even though I suspect it's not good for me.  I know 11 would be safer in the long run.  Even more healthy would be to leave the watch at home and be like the Zen Runner and just run how I feel.  Ooooooommmmmmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm.....it is okay to adjust training plans and listen to your body. Some ideas: loose the watch and relax; yoga/stretching; swim or alternative workout; run with a friend. Don't worry, Poco Loco will be social and the guys will adjust to your pace. Also.....great job Val and Jason, I could feel the proud mom and dad all the way in Mass.

    ReplyDelete