Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Running away stress

Ken and I had to juggle schedules today because of a class he had to facilitate, so I changed some meetings and got the kids to swimming.  Since I was there anyway, I took the opportunity to run off some stress from my day at work.  I'm concerned about resources and the morale and well-being of my staff.  It's just the usual song and dance about always having to do more with less . . . and with a bad budget looming over us next year, I'm afraid it won't get any better, just worse.  So I went outside of my training plan and ran tonight.

I put in a 5K in 29:44 with miles at 9:21, 9:09, and 10:09.  I ran the first two miles without walking, walked a minute, and then finished the last mile.  I was pushing myself pretty hard so I could get to the party.  I guess I was also trying to work out my stresses from the work challenges. 

The run was a good idea, though.  I was more relaxed afterward and I have some fresh perspective to apply to the problems now.  I'm looking forward to discussing some ideas with a colleague or two.  Hopefully we can find a way to improve the situation and ensure we are on the right path going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment