Friday, January 7, 2011

90 minute run

I stayed after work today and ran for 90 minutes on the RPAC track.  I went around and around and around that 1/8 mile track, which sounds terribly boring, but I insist it's much better than running on a treadmill and also better than running in the dark snowy night. 

Tonight I was consistent with a run-walk-run pattern of about 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking.  I didn't actually track the time intervals, though.  I ran 2.5 laps and then walked a half lap.  I know I should get a Gymboss to vibrate and beep at regular intervals, but I've resisted doing so because I already have more than enough equipment to drag along on each run.   

My first mile was 10:22 but I got caught up in the Slow Runners Club podcast and lost count of laps at some point in the second mile.  I decided to channel the zenrunner and gave up tracking distance altogether.  The result was that I ran twice as long as I would have run if I had been focused on performance.  I probably ran a little slower, too. 

I could guess at my speed though.  I think my times probably sped up in the middle of the run (10 min) and slowed down (11-11:30) toward the end.  If I ran an average of about an 11 minute mile, which is likely, I put in just over 8 miles.  Not bad at all.

This weekend the kids have a swim meet, so I doubt I'll be able to run at all.  I was determined to get in a long run today to ensure I stay on track for training.  I'd say this qualified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment